Should Young Children Have Phones?

There are many reasons why children should or shouldn't have phones. Since phones were created so recently we are still trying to figure out the best way to introduce them to young minds. There have been many studies conducted and most of them say you should wait till your child is 12-14 years old or they should be in at least the eighth grade. Now, 42% of children get a phone before the age of 10 and as much as 91% have a phone by the young age of fourteen. Should we be buying children phones this early? 

First of all, many parents like that their children have phones because they are able to be in constant contact. This makes many parents feel more secure when their kids leave home. Phones are also great to have because of safety reasons. They could call 911 or anybody that can help them with just a couple clicks of a button.  Another reason it's good for children to have phones is because it gives them a sense of independence and maturity. This gives them responsiblity and helps them learn how to take care of things at an earlier age. 

There are also many down sides to having phones at a young age. Screen addictions can start especially at a young age. Overuse of phones at such a young age can have poor mental and physical health effects. There is also problems with parents being able to control what their children are playing or watching. With this, cyberbullying can accure no matter how much you try as a parent to stop it. 

Personally, I believe that kids should have phones. But only when they are old enough for parents to trust them or they need it because they have extracurricular activities, like sports. I feel like a good time to get a phone would be the seventh grade when many people start school sports or other activities. Otherwise I would say get a phone at the age of 12. Parents should implement their own rules based on what they see fit. For example, I got my first phone when I was in seventh grade. I had screen time and could only have certain apps until I proved to my parents they could trust me. I feel this is what most parents should do in order to help control the amount of phone usage for their child. 

What age did you get a phone?

What age do you think children should get a phone?

Why do you think that's a good age?

Source 1: https://health.clevelandclinic.org/is-your-child-ready-for-a-smartphone-or-not

Source 2 : https://www.forbes.com/health/family/best-age-for-first-cell-phone/#:~:text=Recent%20survey%20data%20suggests%2042,placed%20in%20a%20child's%20pocket.

Source 3 : https://troomi.com/pros-and-cons-of-young-kids-having-cell-phones/

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I agree that middle school is a great time for parents to get their children phones. They are in more activities and will need to stay in contact with their parents more often. Many parents monitor what their kids can do on their phones to make themselves feel more comfortable.

• I got an iPhone the summer before seventh grade. I feel like when you get to sixth grade you should get a phone just so you can be in contact with your parents because you are growing up and will be out without them more. 

• I can't remeber when I got a phone, but I don't think kids under 10-12 should have phones. The internet is an unsafe space and kids can get into a lot of bad things on it. Once a kid gets 10-12, they are in more activities and need to be able to contact parents.

• I agree with you that there are many unsafe and bad things on the internet. I also agree that since 10-12 year olds are in more activities they need a phone to contact their parents. I also believe that the parents should still monitor what they are watching until they are old enough to be fully trusted.

• When I was 5 years old I got my first phone because my mom's phone broke so she gave it to me. I think they should get a phone at the age the parents feel comfortable giving it to them but, I do think it should be a phone that can only be able to call, take pictures, and play games so that they have something to do. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker