Should we Sell Wyoming?

Wyoming is an extremely low population state and is home to wonderous national parks such as Yellowstone. However, what exactly is Wyoming offering to the US as of right now? Currently Wyoming's main ways to gain money is from mining, tourism, and farming, but are these significant enough to avoid what some people would like to happen to Wyoming? Many people see Wyoming as a state that serves little to no purpose, and we would be better off if we simply sold it to Canada. However, if Wyoming were to be removed from the US the consequences on the economy, farming, and coal industries would be detrimental in the US.

Now, why are people saying we should sell Wyoming? Well, it comes down to a loss gain scenario, some people believe that Wyoming is receiving too much money and not producing enough in return. Currently the state is receiving ~1 billion dollars in state funding from the federal government, but only produced 1.5 billion. However, what some people did not account for was that 1.5 billion only came from agriculture. They seemed to ignore the 2 other massive industries in Wyoming, which include tourism, which made 3.5 billion in 2017, and over 1 billion in coal mining. Wyoming is making the country over 5 billion in revenue even though its population is only 740,000. 

Wyoming also has some of the largest industries within the country. It currently produces the majority of the country’s coal supplies, accounting for 304 million tons of coal in a single year, with over 1 trillion tons of coal in reserves, making up just over 40% of the nation's coal supplies. Another thing that it plays a huge role in the country for is farming, having mainly farmland that produces wheat and oats. They are one of the top producers of those items. So, while Wyoming might not have many people that reside within it, it still has an extremely important role in the economy and wellbeing of the country, and if we were to sell it we would definitely lose more than we gain.

Should the US consider selling Wyoming? Why or why not? 

Would you call Wyoming an important state? In what terms? 

Sources: 

https://wylead.com/about/ 

https://www.wyoleg.gov/InterimCommittee/2019/09-2019082816-02UpdatedWMACoalOverview.pdf

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

•  Jonathan,

I'm not sure if this is a serious post. When you mentioned it in class I thought it was strange as I had never heard of Wyoming being sold. In your summary, you mention there are people that want to seel but who? Your sources don't mention it. Your summary is well writen for sure but be sure to pick a more serious topic next time.

The big issue is that you didn't reply to any student comments which is worth 30 points.

• I personally don’t think that the US should even consider selling Wyoming even though some people see it as having very little purpose it very CLEARLY does. It makes a lot of money with all the tourism, mining, and farming, and that is very important for the US. I do think that Wyoming is an important state because it has a lot of historical tourism spots like The Devils Tour, Grand Teton National Park, and Old Faithful the geyser. It also does well with farming and mining. Therefore, if we sold it just because some people think it has no purpose, we would lose A LOT of not just money but people as well.

• I believe that it would make no sense to sell Wyoming economically. The state contributes to close to half of the nation's coal supplies, which is already very important for fuel in the U.S. Also, a state's value or importance is not necessarilly about how much money it can make. Yellowstone is a beautiful, lush national park filled great wonders that is a must-see for hikers. Not even mentioning that no matter how many people live in it, they are still citizens of America who would most likely want to stay Americans. Wyoming should be here to stay.

• The US should not sell Wyoming, every state is important to the United States and adds uniqueness. Furthermore, the inhabitants of Wyoming probably still want to be a part of the US without needing to move. With selling Wyoming the US would lose a part of stunning and breathtaking nature. In order to this I would also say that Wyoming is such as important as any other state. It has its own things that the other states don't have. 

• I think we should keep Wyoming. Wyoming is a state where there is a lot of nature to see and it is good to keep around. First the tourist will bring in the mount that will be used to keep the national parks nice. Also Wyoming is a state where buffalo are making a comeback. So no it would not be good if we sold Wyoming.

• I think that we should keep Wyoming because they are bringing in the dough.  I think that most people see it as a huge state with a small population, yet they are making a pretty good profit from the statisics you gave. I mean, they are funded only 1 billion, but they give back over 5 billion. I also want to point out that people are not talking about selling Montana, which in my opinion has even less to offer than Wyoming.  If we sell the state, then a whole bunch of people have to find new jobs, houses, and a way of life. That can cost a lot of money for the people living there, that don't even get a say in the decision. There is even a reservation in Wyoming for Native Americans, home of some 2,357 Shoshone and 3,501 Arapaho living there. My question is what will happen with the reservation if we sell it? And if we do, what will Canada, or the country that buys it, do to the reservation of not only the Native Americans, but the animal reserves as well?

• I don't think that they should sell Wyoming. Yes, they might take more money from the Federal Government, but they should either be made to make more or the Federal Government pays that state less. What would the United States get from selling Wyoming to Canada or possibly other countries? I don't think that we would get much in return.

• I don't think the United States shouold consider selling Wyoming because then we would only have 49 states and then we would have to change the flag and stuff. Wyoming still benefits us. I don't really hear about Wyoming alot but if they produce almost half of the nations coal supplies that's kind of important. 

• I think wyoming should be sole becuase theres nothing really there that other states don't have. We all know we could use the extra money.

• This is a great topic and thank you for writing about it. I think that we should not sell Wyoming. The majestic natural beauty has a sense of adventure. Wyoming has the world’s first national park that protects wildlife. What would happen to the animals if we sold that state?

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker