Should We Keep Unmarked Cops?

Should we keep undercover/unmarked cops? There are many makes and models of police cars. Some police cars don’t identify as cop cars. Some have squad car, response car, public safety car and many more names. Though those ones are marked, and can pull you over, are unmarked police cars really necessary while having all those other ones? 

Overall, undercover policing has been a very effective route in policing. Undercover police cars control the movement of traffic. When people know there may be a cop they tend to follow traffic laws better. When no cops are easily seen, they loosen up on the laws. Having unmarked police cars out can worry some people into obeying the laws. Many crimes tend to happen where police cars are not. Having unmarked cars can secure the area better and catch criminals. The use of unmarked cars may seem unfair, but it ensures safety for the public. 

Many people do not enjoy being pulled over, especially when it is by someone who they didn’t even know was around. Unmarked cop cars blend into traffic. Unmarked cars are sometimes difficult to identify. If an unmarked car tries to pull you over some would think that it wasn’t a cop because it has no marking. Unmarked cars can lead to people impersonating the police and abduction rates increase. Some people will not end up obeying the police orders if unmarked. 

Overall, I personally do not have a problem with unmarked cop cars in a small town. I think in bigger cities it could become a problem with people impersonating them. I think they help control the streets and make towns safer. 

Do you think unmarked cop cars should be banned? Why or why not? 

Have you ever seen an unmarked police car do anything? 

Do you think people would try impersonating police and abduction rates would increase? 

https://www.police1.com/traffic-patrol/articles/state-your-case-should-law-enforcement-agencies-use-unmarked-vehicles-for-traffic-enforcement-xwAYbYyleWP6BWLW/#:~:text=Unmarked%20police%20vehicles%2C%20should%20have,police%20vehicle%2C%20they%20drive%20better

https://www.lib.niu.edu/1956/im5608153b.html

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I think that unmarked cops can be good in a lot of situations, they can catch people when they think nobody is watching. But if you are on the other side and speeding and you don't notice the car it could cost you a ticket. 

• I agree that in a lot of situations they can be good, but I think for routine traffic stops they can be very annoying. Personally, I think they are most needed in high-speed chases and undercover cases. 

• I think that unmarked cops are good in some situations like when trying to track someone down, or trying to do something when they don't want people knowing there's a cop there. It does suck though when you are speeding and meet an unmarked cop because by the time you notice it, it's too late.

• In my opinion I do not think that unmarked cops sould be banned as they are able to catch more people who are speeding or doing illegal things. It does suck though because you can not tell unless they are somewhat close to you. They can also help when trying to track people down.

• I think undercover cop cars are good. It sucks if your speeding and you don't see it is un unmarked car until it is too late, but they are beneficial in many ways. They could be used a lot when it comes to tracking someone down or something like that when you don't want them to know there is a cop by them.

• I agree that it does suck when you are speeding and don't see them until it's too late. Personally, I think they could be used for other things like tracking people down or following suspects around and not used in routine traffic stops. 

• I think with unmarked cop cars the cops are able to catch more people and stop more people. When most people see a cop while they are driving they usually slow down but if the cop car looks like a normal car then people will not notice them.

• I think we should ban unmarked cop cars because if i'm speeding or something and i see a cop i slow down but if i'm speeding and i don't notice it's a cop i'm gonna get pulled over and get a ticket for speeding. So yes they should be banned

• I think that is why we have unmarked police cars so that they catch people unexpectedly. I know that unmarked cars do frusturate many people, but I think that the main reason we have them is good. 

• I thinkt hat undercover cop cars can help reduce crime especially in rural areas. In cities, I can see how it could become and issue with people impersonating them. Personally, I follow laws more If I know there is an undercover cop in the area, since they could be anywhere without us knowing.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker