Should we continue to use the Selective Service System?

I'm sure most of us are familiar with the draft, whether from current news about expanding its regulations or hearing about it in our classes. The question is, is it really necessary today?

The Selective Service System is a system that prepares the United States for a possible draft. Men aged 18-25 are required to register for military service during peacetime. If the military doesn’t have enough personnel during a war, Congress and the President may issue a draft. The government needs to know who is elligible for military service. This is where the Selective Service System comes in, providing information of all elligible men. While many people are in support of this system (even wanting to expand it to women), others feel that it is unnecessary and outdated.

Men have been drafted in wars throughout our country’s history. Ever since the start of the draft, people have protested it and started riots. The first version of the Selective Service System was used in 1917.  In 1948, the Selective Service Act was introduced following the World War II draft. This act laid a foundation for the system we have today. 

People in support of the Selective Service System and the draft believe that it is necessary to protect the country. They believe that the system acts as a contingency plan that the country can fall back on. There is a concern of a lack of volunteers if the United States ever does go to war. Many also argue that women should be allowed to register because they are equal to men. 

There are also many people opposed to the Selective Service System and the draft. They believe that the draft doesn't have much use, and argue that the military will have sufficient volunteers and public support regardless of whether the Selective Service System is in place. They also argue that the people who have registered for Selective Service are not instantly ready for battle, and that they still need training. In addition, during the conflicts with Iraq and Afghanistan, military forces were expanded without the need of a draft. Casualty levels were also extremely low, and support of the military stayed high even without support of the wars themselves. 

Personally, I don't think the Selective Service System and the draft are fully necessary, and I do think they are a little outdated. The US should focus on a volunteering system. I don't think a lack of volunteers for military service is an issue. We already have a strong military force. I also think the public will continue to support our military. However, I understand the people who want to keep it for extra security or in case of emergency, but with significantly fewer casualties in recent years, I feel more confident. 

Do you think the Selective Service System should be used today?

Do you think women should be required to register?

Would you want to be drafted?

Sources:

https://www.heritage.org/defense/commentary/the-draft-should-be-left-out-the-cold

https://afsc.org/news/its-time-end-not-expand-selective-service-system

https://www.sss.gov/

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I think we should keep on using it becuase it helps build an army fast and affective. I think we should have them becuase of them feeling left out and or wanting to fight. if i would get drafted i wouldnt fight becuase of the dangers of it and results of the 

• I don't think the Selective Service System is necessary, because I think the US would have enough volenteers. I think men and women should be able to register, however, I don't either gender needs to be required to register. I don't think I would want to be registered, because I'm scared of war, and I'm not the right type of person for the job.

• I wouldn't want to register for selective services either for the same reasons. I also don't think I would have the physical endurance without a lot of training.

• I think that on the one hand I do believe that they should continue with the Selective System, because if it were no longer used, I don't think that when there is a confrontation or something that requires trained people, they will not have people trained and ready to defend their country, because being realistic, if it would not be required or if it would not be an obligation, almost no one would go, only those who are really interested in it. I think I would like to be drafted, but at the same time I wouldn't like it.

• I think the selective system is a good idea and we should use it although it might be scary at times. I think women should be able to vote but not required. I would not want to be drafted.

• I think it is still good to have as a backup plan in the event that we need it, even though it is unlikely. I would not want to be drafted either.

• I think it should be used today because how useful it is but it can be unfair for other people. Probably women would be registered for this because it's unfair for them to be left out. I don't really want to be drafted into this.

• Ideally, I think the Selective Service System is a good idea, even though it can be scary and seem unfair. I think in order to make it even more fair, women should be required to register. I would rather people fight for our country voluntarily, instead of being forced, but the SSS seems like a last resort. 

• I agree, the SSS may have to be used as a last resort, but with the state of our country today, I don't think it would be very likely.

• I think that the selective system could be used today because if you need people to fight for the country then how else are you going to get people to fight. I think it would only be fair if women had register. I wouldnt want to be drafted but if I was I couldnt do anything about it. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker