Should timed tests be a thing?

Have you ever been taking a timed test and you realize that you're almost out of time? Well, I'm sure most students have been in that situation. The College Board has decided to redesign the SAT so that they're a lot shorter, this will give the students more time to take the test. The majority of students around the world believe that timed tests don't show what we know. Most students feel pressured because of the time so they don't perform their best. If they aren't doing their best on the timed test then that means that the scores are inaccurate. That's not fair to the students. Their intelligence should not be determined by inaccurate test scores. 

These timed tests are holding students back from performing as well as they can. A student at Heritage Academy High School said “ I have always hated timed tests because they do make my performance worse purely because of the time constraint.” I agree with this. Whenever I take a timed test I notice i'm focusing more on the fact that I'm running out of time than on the test itself. Timed tests aren't fair to anyone even if they do well on them. I need time to be able to go over what I just did. I shouldn't have to rush myself on a test just so I can get done in time. 

I think it's time we get rid of timed tests or maybe give a little more time on the test depending on what we’re testing on. Some students believe that we shouldn't get rid of timed tests at all and that we should keep them the same. They believe that if you can't finish the test in the given time then you should study harder. While that could be true for some people not everyone performs the same while taking a test. Another student mentioned that as we’re growing up we will be put into stressful situations. This is true but I don't think we should deal with that while taking a test. We should have the opportunity to do our best on the test. 

Do you think we should still be taking timed tests?

Do you think timed tests are fair to everyone?

Do you find it hard to focus when taking a timed test?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I think that timed tests aren't good for testing on things like what you learned that year because it doesn't give you the time to try to go through your knowledge to find what you're looking for. However, I think that when testing things like general knowledge, I think it can be beneficial to have a timed test because in real life sometimes you have to know how to make a smart and quick decision and these help prepare for that.

• I don't think that tests should be timed necessarily, but I do think that there does need to be a deadline. Because you can't keep doing a test all day, there does have to be an endpoint. Timed tests aren't very fair because everyone would eventually get it, but the people who get it faster get a better grade because they have more done.

• I feel like if we have "timed testes" it would make me feel really pressured into rushing throught the test instead of taking my time and making sure I got the correct anwer. I didn't like how when we had iowa assesments it felt like we were on a timed test. Even though we had longer classes I still didn't like it.

• I feel the same way. Timed tests would make me feel very nervous and pressured. I hate taking the Iowa assessments because I feel like they're timed. 

• I personally don't like timed tests. During timed tests all I'm thinking about is how much time I have left and if I will finish on time. To me, they are a "distraction." I know you are not always going to get the amount of time you need on things like that but when you do have the ability to change that, I think they should not give us timed tests. 

• I also only think about how much time I have left when taking a timed test. They don't benefit anyone and they don't show accurate information, so why even have them to begin with? 

• I dont like the idea of timed tests it puts pressure on people and that can cause them to not be able to focus or stress and not do anything at all. I am a person who doesn't perform well under a lot of pressure it would cause me to overthink and not be able to get things done. 

• I agree, I feel that timed tests make students not try as hard when taking the test. Instead of focusing on the test, they're focusing on how much time they have left. 

• I think that there shouldn't be timed tests, but there should still be a maximum limit so students don't spend a large amount of time on the test. I think that people take tests differently than other people, with some people working faster than others. I usually take a longer time than other people so it can stress me out when I run out of time and I am the last one. 

• I agree. We can't spend the whole day on a test, there has to be a limit but I don't think that we should have "timed tests" all they do is stress students out. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker