Should tiktok be banned?

Tiktok has been thought to be a national security concern because it is owned by a chinese company. The main reason for this ban is the ties that tiktok has to china. Many are concerned that the Chinese are spying on the United States through tiktok.  Many states have tried and succeeded at banning tik tok, around 30 states have successfully banned the app. Montana was the first state to ban the app.

This ban has gone far enough that the Biden administration began to make threats. The Biden administration’s threats consisted of a national ban unless the parent company of tiktok agrees to sell their shares. In the past, when the speculations were made, tiktok has made comments about how they have never shared any information with the Chinese government. Which clearly was not enough for many people.

The people from tik tok also think this ban is against the first amendment right granted to the people. They have also made comments about how they will defend the users inside and out of montana with the use of this amendment. When the ban was put into place, it prohibits any downloads of Tiktok in the state, and any app store who still offers it will get fined $10,000 a day that people still have the ability to download the app. Although these penalties will not be applied to users, the app will be taken off the phones of montana residents. 

Do you think tiktok should be banned?

Do you use tiktok daily?

Are you concerned about the accusations against tiktok?

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2023/may/17/tiktok-ban-montana

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I like tik tok also and will always use it if it doesnt get banned. It is a cool and entertaining social media plat form and i don't think that their are enough valid reasons for it to be banned.

• I Personalt belive that youtube shorts are better then TikTok anways and could live without the short videos. I think movies and 20 min youtube videos will always be better. With the bounus of being much older than TikTok and still around today.

• I have used youtube shorts before and I like the fact that you get more stuff based on your liking. If it was to be banned i would also just watch youtube and movies.

• I am "addicted" to tiktok. I really enjoy watching short videos that keep me entertained for hours. I don't think tiktok should be banned because so many people like to use it and its fun. I think tiktok is a safe app and should not be banned.

• I am also defintley addicted to tiktok and i have never had any problems with them finding my information so i agree that it shouldnt be banned.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker