Should TikTok be banned?

Should TikTok be banned?

Recently, there has been a lot of controversy on if TikTok should be banned or not. Some people find it necessary and some people think the complete opposite. The house of representatives recently passed a bill to ban TikTok. Originally, it was Donald Trump’s idea to ban TikTok. It was Joe Biden who was somewhat against the ban. Now, it is the opposite. Donald Trump promises not to ban TikTok if he wins the 2024 presidential election and Joe Biden is trying to take TikTok away. It was unanimously approved by the Energy and Commerce Committee with a vote of 50 to 0.

More than 150 million Americans use TikTok and both people who use it and don’t are wondering if it is safe. Like all social media apps of course there are scams for things like followers, romance, and investment scams. One thing about Tik Tok is it doesn’t secure your information like Facebook does, which makes it untrustworthy and dangerous.

If TikTok was banned, influencers all around the world would lose all followers and would have to start all over on platforms like Instagram and Facebook, which could be banned in the future as well. Shira, a TikTok influencer says, "TikTok has cultivated a huge community of people who discuss politics and current affairs without it being altered by propaganda. A lot of us just want to know the truth. The whole TikTok ban is clearly a tactic to control the narrative." Brandon Hurst, another influencer says, “These representatives and senators don’t understand that what they’re doing won’t just harm people they call ‘content creators.’ It would hurt small businesses.” Personally, I agree. I think that a lot of people have made a living off of TikTok. Especially because of a new feature on TikTok called, “TikTok shop” which gives creators the ability to sell their own items which TikTok then offers coupons for making it more affordable, which equals out to more people buying. 

What do you think? Should TikTok be banned? Or should it be kept?

Do you use TikTok? How often?

Do you think TikTok is safe to use?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I disagree, I don't think TikTok should be banned. However, I do think that there are security concerns. 

• I don't think it should be banned because a lot of people like to use it and just keep the app they like. I don't use tiktok that much but I like to use tiktok because I think there is a lot of good information that is on there besides the dances that it has. I do think there is some information being taken from you.

• I agree. I think both good and bad things come from TikTok.

• I think TikTok should be kept. TikTok is just as safe as any other social media platform. I personally think that Snapchat has more information to steal from you than TikTok does. However, since TikTok is a relatively new app, they should revise it to make it more secure.

• I agree, it should be more secure. 

• I don't really care whether or not TikTok is banned. I personally don't have it so it wouldn't affect me however I know that it has lots of pros and cons. I think that TikTok is mostly safe but they are taking information from you. This is all to make the experience of the app better for the user.

• I agree. I think it's safe enough to use.

• I think that tik tok should be kept. But there should be better privacy settings. Becuase so many people use this app to grow thier platforms, and get business information across the table it would be terrible if we banned it, because many businesses would crumble becasue of the abscence of this app. 

• I agree. There should be more security if it is kept. 

• It has good things and bad things, but nowadays I think it's a rare person who doesn't use it, it's a way to entertain and in this medium, even though it may seem strange, you find out what's happening in the world, so from this point I personally disagree that it should be prohibited, but it is also very addictive and even more so now in young children who are exposed to many things that are not entirely true, even adolescents and adults. Honestly, I use it very frequently.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker