Gun violence is a big problem in our society. Some people think guns should have stricter laws placed on them. Whereas others think that most guns are completely fine and should be able to be purchased and owned. I think that instead of looking at what guns should be banned, we should pay more attention to the people buying them.

Gun violence has gone up over the years in all categories. Intentional, suicidal, and accidental murders have all gone up. However, in the last couple of years background checks have also gone up. Just last year, the amount of background checks increased by 44%. Close to 48% of Americans view gun violence as a major problem. According to pewresearch.org, 85% of Republicans and 90% of Democrats support the idea of preventing gun purchases by people with mental illnesses. Also, 70% of Republicans and 92% of Democrats believe that private gun purchases and gun show purchases should conduct background checks.

I agree with both of those proposals. Those laws would make it harder for people with mental illnesses to purchase guns and provide harm to civilians. To add to that, it would also lower the number of gun violence cases in total. More background checks would be performed unveiling more untrustworthy candidates. 

Do you think that gun purchases should be more restricted and checked on? Explain.

What other restrictions would you propose for gun violence?

Sources

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2021/09/13/key-facts-about-americans-and-guns/ 

https://www.gunviolencearchive.org/

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Your topic is good but a bit overdone over this quarter so far. Your summari well written but a bit brief overall. Also be sure to check Thursday afternoon/evening to see if more people replied-which they did.

• Gun purchases should definitely be more restricted in the US. As long as we make it harder for people to get guns, less people will have guns. Less guns means less death to gun violence. It's actually very simple if you think about it.

• I think gun purchases should have some restrcitons but not a whole lot. We need guns for safety but we don't need a whole armery for just one person, we only have 2 hands not a whole bunch of them to be shooting guns all at once. But I do think there should be harder gun restrictions so that way a gun does not get into the wrong hands.

• I think that people should have to have a background check in order to buy a gun no matter where they buy it from. A simple background check tells you who you're selling a gun too and what their potential uses for it would be. I think that if you have a felony you shouldn't be able to buy a gun.

• I think that if someone really wants a gun, they will find a way regardless of if it's legal or not, so I think that taking away guns wouldn't really do anything besides keep guns from the public who actually use them the right way. I think that if you pass a background check and everything there's no reason why you should be able to own a firearm.

• I think if you do have a serious mental illness, or a bad background, that you shouldn't be able to get a gun. However, I do not think we should completely get rid of gun rights, and that if you would want to own a firearm with a good background, and a not from a doctor saying you'd be okay to own a gun if you do have a mental illness, then you should be able to own a firearm. 

• I think purchasing guns keeps getting harder which is a good thing to keep guns out of the wrong peoples hands. I think gun laws right now are fine because criminals who really want guns will find a way to get them one way or another so i don't think gun control laws make a difference. 

• I think their should be more gun restrictions so that the wrong people don't have something so deathly in their possession. People with mental illness need to have more background checks and papers signed from doctors allowing them to have guns. If most peopl in America are for more background checks it needs to be pushed.

• I believe that here should be more background checks or more ways to make sure that this person should be able to purchase a firearm/if they should let this person purchase a firearm. This is a gun, and I think that these things should be looked at carefully and not overlooked. If a gun falls into the wrong hands it could end very badly. 

• I feel there should be more background checks and I feel they should look into things better. Guns fall in the wrong hands all the time so that's why they need to make the gun laws more strict so that doesn't happen. Then maybe the crime rates will go down a little. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker