Should There be an Age Limit on Energy Drinks?

Many teens, myself included, have gotten really used to drinking energy drinks fairly often. But should teens be able to drink them freely? Many people have concerns. The 4 major side effects of energy drinks are anxiety, dehydration, insomnia, and heart complications. Heart complications include irregular heartbeat or even heart failure.

In 2011, 1499 teens were rushed to the ER because of an energy drink related emergency. More than 10 percent of these ER visits resulted in those teens being hospitalized. Many energy drink brands target their ads towards kids aged 13-18. As a result, these teens are influenced to drink these. Many schools even have energy drinks in vending machines, giving teens an even easier access to energy drinks. Parents are also uneducated on how risky it is having young children drink these drinks, especially the ones that have sugar in them.

So how do energy drink companies defend themselves? Many companies say that a large coffee from Dunkin Donuts has more sugar and caffeine than their drinks. The difference is that energy drinks use artificial sources for caffeine, which have been proven to be more dangerous than natural caffeine sources. Many health research centers have concluded that children should consume no caffeine at all.

In my opinion, I think that the age limit for energy drinks should be 16. At that age, many teens are full grown or close to it. The major concern of teens drinking energy drinks is because they are smaller than adults, but many teens, girls especially, are full grown by 16. Also, energy drinks can help teens focus better in school, so they should be able to consume them in moderation.

Questions:

Do you drink energy drinks? If so, how often?

Do you think there should be an age limit for energy drinks?

Sources:

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2019/06/scientists-say-energy-drinks-ads-shouldnt-target-teens/592657/ 

https://www.cdc.gov/healthyschools/nutrition/energy.htm 

https://www.unr.edu/nevada-today/news/2020/atp-energy-drinks 

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Every now and then I drink an energy drink. When I do drink one it's like one every month. I don't think energy drinks are very good for you, but there shouldn't be an age limit on them. Although they are bad for you they don't make you act different or anything so there shouldn't be an age limit on them.  

• Yes I drink energy drinks, I dont drink them that often just here and there. There should not be an age limit for energy drinks. Yes energy drinks are bad for you but a lot of foods and drinks are bad for you so you would have to ban those too. It wouldn't really make sense to ban them because people are aware of what they are putting in there body. 

• I do not drink energy drinks because I don't feel the need for drinking an energy drink when you have so much natural energy at a young age. I drink pre-workout when I have to use it early like 5-6 in the morning. I think there shouldn't be a limit for energy drinks however.

• I agree that kids shouldn't be drinking energy drinks since they have a lot of natural energy as well.

• I used to drink energy drinks, probably once a week. But once track season started I stopped because they really don't help you. They don't give you good energy, your body is supposed to give you natural caffeine. But having energy drinks stops your body from making it naturally.

• I agree that your body doesn't make caffeine naturally when it is being supplemented daily. That is why you get headaches if you don't have caffeine for one day after drinking it regularly.

• I don't think that energy drinks should have a age limit because if they said hey you cant drink those then someone can just drink more coffee. I think that age limits are becoming more and more common witch makes sense because if you look at the freash highschoolers alot of them are immature, witch makes sense.

• I see your point that if energy drinks are banned, people could just start drinking more coffee or other natural sources of caffeine.

• I don't drink energy drinks, I think they are pretty bad for you no matter the age. I also think that there should be an age limit on them because of the health issues they can cause. I think anyone younger than the age of 16 shouldn't be allowed to drink them mainly because of health risks. Too many of these drinks can be very bad for your body and older kids know the risks better than younger kids. 

• I agree. Many young kids that are drinking energy drinks are doing it to look "cool", and they don't undestand the risks that come with them.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker