This topic is frequently argued over in the United States as there are positives and negatives to both sides. People have been trying to get this to come to realty for a while but it has failed every time. People that believe it should be lowered argue lowering it would create more partipation and voting habits, at 16 you start deciding your future and this is an important part of their future, and also that 16 year olds have the same ability to make good voting decisions as others as they have the same civics knowledge. People that dont want this to pass argue kids under 18 are not mature enough to vote, 18-29 year olds have low voting number turnouts and this will be the same, and also that almost all Americans believe they shouldnt be able to vote.

Many believe that it should be lowered for many reasons. Many reaserchers have found 16 year olds pick up most of their actions from the adults around them so as long as their parents are voting they will vote and keep voting as it becomes a habit. Scientists also found that something called cold cognition skills are in most 16 year olds, those are the skills needed to make well, thought out decisions. Lastly, if we lower the voting age it will strngthen the civics education in younger kids and help them get more involved and interested in civics.

Lots of people believe that lowering the voting age could hurt our country and dont want it to be lowered. They argue that 16 year olds dont have the motivation and ability to participate in the election effectively. They think because they are so young they wont vote based on their own thoughts but rather what their parentrs believe and what their parents want. Finally they arent fully grown and scientists have found in teenage years the brain is still undergoing major contruction and is still developing.

I believe that the voting age at 18 is a good age because that is when they are adults and almost all the decisions they make are for themselves. They are less likely to just vote alongside their parents around this age. 16 seems to young for me and that is just sophmores or juniors in high school mostly. Some of them dont have jobs or have to make many big decisions for themselves. I can see pros to lowering it but I dont see a point big enough to make it an obvious decision to lower it. I also think the election is fine right now and because its doing good and fine there is no reason to change it and risk messing it up.

Sources

Source 1

Source 2

Source 3

Questions

Do you think Lowering the voting age would be good or bad?

Would you rather have the voting age lowered to 16 or raised to 21?

If the voting age was lowered to 16 and you could vote in the next election, would you?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I think 18 years old is a good place for the voting age because any younger than that aren't able to think for themselves and make adult decisions. I would rather have the voting age raised to 21 because like I said any younger than 18 most people aren't able to think for themselves due to things being too influential. 

• I think the voting age would be good where it is at. I think when you can fight for the country is when you can choose for the country. If it had to be changed I think it would be better going up to 21 then down to 16, your brain is not yet developed at 16 and youre easily influenced. If I can vote in the next election, I will I think it's important to make those kind of decisions on who is running our country. 

• I think if we changed the age it would be bad. I think as 16-year-olds we are barely adapting and learning our new responsibilities. I believe that it should be raised to 21 cause even at the age of 18 we are still learning how to adapt to our new life. I don't know if I would I don't really like politics and don't understand them much.

• I believe that the voting age is just fine at 18. If the voting age was lowered it wouldn't be good. It should stay at 18 because that's when you pay taxes and start being a grown-up. 21 is too old to be voting once you turn 18 you should have the right to vote for a president. If the age got lowered to 16 I would vote but I don't think 16-year-olds are mature enough to vote. 

• I think the voting age should remain at 18. Age 16 is a very influential part of one's life and there are a lot of new responsibilities. I would rather the voting age be raised to 21 to ensure the most accurate and responsible voting possible. I would absolutely vote in the next election if the voting age was lowered. 

• I agree that the voting age should stay at 18 rather then move up or down. I agree that raising the voting age would be better than lowering it, and If I had the option to I would also vote in the next election.

• I think if we lowered the voting age it would be bad. Most 16 years old are not mature enough to make a choice like that. I would rather have the voting age be raise to 21. Yes, I would vote in the next election with the help of my family members opinions.

• I agree and I think that maturite plays one of the biggest parts in this topic as many 16 year olds wouldnt take it seriously even though it is one of the bigger decisions in ones life. I would also rather have it raised then lowered although I would perfer it to stay at 18 years old.

• I think that if the voting age were to be lowered it would be a bad thing because at 16 you are most likely still immature and irrational so it probably wouldn't do much good for anyone. I think that the voting age should stay the same but if I had to choose I would say it would be better to raise it to 21. I probably would not vote if the voting age was lowered before the next election.

• I can see this going both ways. Age does play a big part in maturing. However, some younger people are mature depending on your situation. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker