Should The United States Have Universal Healthcare?

According to the CDC, 97 millions of people worldwide can not access quality healthcare services. Healthcare started in the 1700s, but healthcare insurance did begin until the 1920s. In the 1950s the prices of hospital care doubled. This was due to the discovery of new medications and techniques quickly arising. 

Many of the healthcare places people go don't have the personnel and technology requirements needed to meet the needs of the clients. People are denied care due to the high cost of the care needed as they don’t have any healthcare insurance. People also get denied care due to their race, age, and or disability status. People don’t get recommended the needed healthcare services because their insurance won't cover the cost. It could also be that the services they need are too far away. 1 in 10 people in the United States doesn't have health insurance. People that don't have insurance are less likely to get the primary care they need. They also would have to pay out of pocket. Most don’t have enough money to pay out of pocket for the co-pay and medicine needed. People with no insurance are also less likely to get properly evaluated. Hospitals only care if the people have insurance to pay for their visits. They want to make money, and people that have no insurance would cause them to lose money. So the staff will likely have to deny them care due to the fact that they don’t have insurance. 

In my opinion, I think people without health insurance still should be treated as if they have it. If you were broke a bone and needed an orthopedic surgeon the doctor should recommend you to one close. Many of these clinics or hospitals don’t have all the technology or personnel needed to meet patient requirements. They should still recommend you to one close by. I think everyone should be able to receive care if needed. 

Do you think Doctors and or Nurses should deny people care?

Do you think age, disability, or race should have an impact on the care received?

Do you think the United States Should try Universal Healthcare coverage? and why?

Sources:

https://www.ruralhealthinfo.org/topics/healthcare-access

https://health.gov/healthypeople/objectives-and-data/browse-objectives/health-care-access-and-quality

https://www.griffinbenefits.com/blog/history-of-healthcare

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I think health care should be universal. If it was universal they would be a lot of people that will go to hospital with out any worry. Most people who need to go to the hospital will not since they can't afford health care and if they do go they medical bills will be high.

• I agree with you, I think healthcare should be universal. With universal healthcare, people's worrys arent as big if they don't have any health insurance.

• I don't think doctors and nurses should ever deny someone care. I think healthcare should become universal. its terrible that some people die because they cant afford to go to the docter. Also when someone gets hurt they should be worried about getting better not their medical bills. 

• I agree with you 100%, doctors and nurses should never be able to deny people care if needed. If a person gets hurt they shouldn't have to worry about how much it is going to cost they should worry about how to get help.

• I believe that the states should have universal healthcare so people won’t have to leave the country to get surgery or care because they can’t afford it. If health care was free then our country would be a lot healthier and have more workers. Just look at the United kingdom. They are healthy and have a longer life expectancy. More and more people are moving to have free healthcare.

• I agree with you, more people are moving just to be able to receive care. If the states start with universal healthcare more people would stay but also not have to travel to receive care. 

• I think doctors/nurses should recommend other hospitals if they are not able to treat a patient due to their facilities rules. Having health insurance or not, if someone needs care, they should recieve the proper care they need. The US should try universal healthcare because everyone should have access to healthcare. 

• I agree with you, if people have health insurance or not really shouldn't determine if you treat the person or not. Everyone should have access to healthcare and be able to get help if needed.

• I like that other countries give out free healthcare for everyone. I always wondered why the United States doesn't allow free healthcare. I think they should decide whether people need free healthcare or not, then give free healthcare. I know a lot of people in the world do need free healthcare. 

• I agree with you, I think this universal healthcare would be a great idea for the United States. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker