Do you think the military should be allowed to use enhanced interrogation techniques? 

There are many mixed emotions on this topic, many think yes, although there are still a good amount who think no. What are some reasons they would need to use these techniques? 

In many cases this technique would be necessary due to a bomb threat, or a threat of an attack. The first time enhanced interrogation techniques were known to be used was around March - April 2002, when Abu Zubaydah was captured. After this event happened they kept him in isolation for 47 days, then used the waterboarding technique. If you didn’t know, this technique is used to simulate drowning. These techniques are used to get information out of people, but it doesn’t always work out. 

In my opinion to be completely honest, I have mixed feelings about this. I think this because yes in some cases this is the only way you can get the information you need, but there are also many different outcomes that could happen.

Do you think it's safe to use these techniques? 

How do you feel about these techniques?

Should they be allowed? Why or why not?

Sources:

https://irp.fas.org/congress/2014_rpt/ssci-rdi-timeline.pdf

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Good topic choice and great job replying to student comments Bailey! I do think your summary is brief. Be sure to ecpand more next time.

• This reply was deleted.
    • I agree, these techniques get information needed most of the time, and should be used in cases of threats and potentionally saving the country.

• I have mixed feelings about this, on one hand, these types of techniques can help find out important information that could be very helpful, but on the other side, I don't really like the idea of torturing someone for the sake of the safety of a country. I personally don't think they should be allowed since we are putting someone's life at risk. 

• I dont think these techniques are safe. But they should be used if needed. The waterboarding technique did do what it was suppoused to it got him to talk. I dont think the military should just be able to go out and threaten anyone they want but I do think to some extent it would be a very usefull thing to use. 

• These techniques are definitely not safe, and I think that they should be limited by a lot. If the government is going to use one of these techniques then they should have good reasoning to do so. I think some should be allowed to a certain point.

• I do not think these techniques are safe. I think they should be allowed to use some of these techniques, however not all. They should be allowed under certain circumstances.

• I think it is safe because in most cases it can allow you get the infromation you need eventhough I think they should only be used in specific cases because some people might think it is going against their privacy. I think it should be allowed but it should only be used when there is a good reasoning to.

• I agree, these techniques get good information out, but should only be used with good enough reasoning. 

• Personally I think that the military should not use this method at all. The United States 8th amendment says- Excessive bail shall not be required, nor excessive fines imposed, nor cruel and unusual punishments inflicted. I think that it would be too extreme.

• I think inhanced interrogation techniques should be used when the government has good reasoning too. It could stop terrorists or horrible events like 9/11 from happening. This in the end could save many lives and help america or other countries stay safe. If there is a reason behind it, I don't see a problem.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker