Should The Government Pay For College Tuition?

President Biden wants to mke community college tution free for all Americans. Many people are in favor and many are not. There are serveral states that will pay for community college tuition for all students and there are some states that will pay but only for those students who qualify. However, a four-year college education is different.

The current average college debt for a graduating student is about $37,000. Not having debt after graduation creates less stress for students. They don't have to work as many hours at a job and can concentrate on studying, which results in better grades and higher graduation rates. Students who could not afford to attend a college or university now can and there would be less drop-out rates. Not having debt after graduation allows students to have more spendimg money when they start working. This helps the economy grow.

On the other hand, nothing is free. The money has to come from somewhere. Having the government pay for tuition means higher taxes. Some students will not take a higher education seriously if they don''t have to pay for it themselves. It will also create problems at many colleges and universities because they don't have room for all the students. In addition it will create waitlists for classes. If there are too many people in the work force with college degrees, it will be harder for them to find jobs and most likely salaries will decrease.

I do not think the government should pay for everyone's four year college education. It will create more debt in the government. There are government programs and private scholarships that can help with tuition if you need help. Also, I think it is good for people to work for things they want.

Sources:

https://www.collegeraptor.com/find-colleges/articles/affordability-college-cost/why-should-college-be-free/ 

-https://www.bestcolleges.com/news/analysis/should-college-be-free/ 

Questions:

Do you think the government should pay for everyone's college educations?

Would you take free tuition if it were available?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I  Don't think the gorvemnt should have to pay for kids college. I think iuf you what to go to college you should have to pay for it. If the USA goverment payhed fgor it that mean taxs would go up.

• yes i think the government should pay for college tuition i get why they don't because it brings lots of money into the college and the large amounts of tax that they get off of college tuition. But at the samne point it makes it pretty hard to the end the cycle of poverty in some places.

• I agree with it ending the cycle of poverty if the governent of pays for tuition.  

• In my opinion, I do not think that the government should pay for everyone's college. I feel that a better option would be to put the money they would put in for free tuition, and make colleges that are free or at least very cheap. Obviously, they wouldn't have the benefits like other colleges, but they could do their job and make going into a profession affordable. This would be better long term and could be self-sustaining, so it wouldn't be a waste of money that taxpayers pay to just give to banks and get nothing out of it.

• I don't think that the government should pay for everyone's college education because taxes would increase because these college fees would have to be paid somehow. Even if you don't pay for college you will still have to pay lots of money because of the taxes so that everyone has the chance to go to college for free.

• I totally agree with you. Taxes will be higher for everyone.

• I think that if the government paid for college tuition and education, there would be a lot more students enrolling in college. I would take the free tuition as I plan to attend college and this would help me avoid debt, possibly pursue higher education after college, and focus my finances onto other important expenses. 

• I don't think that they should because it is a lot of money but I do think that they should help a little for people in need. I would because if I have to pay for my own it would be helpful.

• I personally believe that they should not. If our government pays for any tuition our country and beloved states might go bankrupt. If you really need the government to pay for your college you should just join the military, Then they will pay for it.

• I agree with you that joining the military is a good way to have the goverment pay for college tuition.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker