Should the drinking age be lowered?

Many people say proponents of lowering the minimum legal drinking age from 21 will not change what will happen. Many argue that the legal drinking age of 21 will not stop teens from drinking, and will it ever stop teens from drinking? It has been pushed for underage binge drinking in private and less controlled environments According to MLDA, underage drinking can be dangerous, as teenagers may not yet have the ability to handle alcohol responsibly. This increases the risk of harming themselves or others, even resulting in fatalities. Therefore, it is recommended not to drink alcohol before the age of 21.

The legal drinking age was changed from 18 to 21 in 1984. When it was used by young people it had many problems like traffic crashes, drownings, vandalism, assaults, homicides, suicides, teenage pregnancies, and sexually transmitted diseases. Between 1970 and 1975 29 States lowered the MLDA to the ages 18,19,  and 20. This change happened when the voting age was lowered. Evidence shows that by lowering the drinking age there were more traffic crashes among youth. 

I think that it should be lowered to 18 because we can vote. An if we have to go fight in a war why can't we have maybe our last drink with our families for when we say goodbye because who knows what is going to happen today, tomorrow, or in a year? We will never know what our future may hold so why can't we live our lives the way we want? 

What do you think should the drinking age be lowered or should it stay the same? Why or Why not?

Should the Drinking Age Be Lowered in the US? 13 Pros and Cons, https://drinkingage.procon.org/. Accessed 6 February 2024.

“The Minimum Legal Drinking Age - PMC.” NCBI, https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6876521/. Accessed 6 February 2024.

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I think the drinking age should stay the same for many reasons revolving around younger people being stupid. I think lowering the drinking age could cause many problems and would cause a lot more accidents in the younger population.

• I don't think it should be lowered because so many kids currently drink irresponsibly. However, I also do not think that it will prevent much as some kid's just get illegal substances from adult friends. There are a lot of accidents as a result of drinking, though.

• I don't think the drinking age should be lowered. This is because people are still irresponsible when they first turn 18 and don't have any real world experience. The number of injuries and car accidents may increase if the drinking age is lowered. I think it should stay at 21, because it gives people more time to get used to being adults.

• I don't think the drinking age should be lowered at all because it would just end up causing problems in our economy and just more trouble in the world. It will be easier to just the keep the same rules that we have had for a while now because it is working even though minors are still breaking that law but if it gets lowered it may cause more accidents on the road or just more deaths.

• I dont think the drinking age should be lowered, I think it would cause too many problems in our economy. I think it will be easier to keep it the way it is and not have a major change like that. I think one of the biggest problems would be minors trying to buy the alcohol.

• I think that the drinking age should stay the same as it is right now. Lots of 18 year olds are still in highschool and college. If students start drinking there academics would likely lower and they would either not go to school because they wouldn't be feeling well, or they would be doing poorly because they are not able to concentrate. 

• I don't believe that it would be a smart idea to lower the drinking age. Because at the age of eighteen, you are turning into a real adult it would have a huge issue to 18 year olds going out and starting parties and would lead to them getting into car crashes.

• I think that the drinking age could be lowered. I also think that it is good where it is. I think both ways because you are an adult but it does have risks. I think that smoking should be banned but drinking should be lowered.

• I think that the drinking age should be 18 because you are an adult at that time. I feel like if you can vote theirs no reason why somebody shouldn't be able to drink if they want. I don't feel like theirs a huge difference in lifestyle from 18 to 21 year old's.

• I think that the drinking age should be lowered to 16 because if they trust us to drive a car we should be able to drink. other countries also allow 18-year-olds to drink and there isn't a whole difference in life casualties. if the drinking age is lower I don't think that younger ones should be allowed in bars still. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker