Should teens have to wear seatbelts?

Having to wear seatbelts hasn’t always been a law. It wasn’t until 1959 when Congress passed a law requiring that all cars must have something for safety. Lap belts were what people would usually choose but in accidents you had the potential to cause separation of the lumbar vertebrae. By 1965 all states had laws to require seat belts in vehicles.

The seatbelt design that is used today was created by a Swedish engineer Nils Bohlin in 1959. People's opinions opposed to seatbelts claims that “As long as the life risked is his own, I believe the individual should decide whether or not to use safety belts is wise.” Ralph Nader published his best selling book in 1965 ‘Unsafe at any Speed’. A decade later nearly 40,000 people died in the US from car accidents. 

“Ineffective, inconvenient and uncomfortable” are the thoughts of drivers that participated in a survey in 1985. People would go as far as cutting the seatbelts out. In my opinion I think for the people's safety and yours in the car you should wear one. If you are alone in your car I guess it’s really up to you but I still think it’s a good thing to have a law on seat belts.

Do you think we should be required to wear seatbelts?

Do you think that teans should have to wear seatbelts in the back like adults?

From Scorn to Worn: The curious history of seat belts > Columbus Air Force Base > Article Display.

The History of Seatbelts from Transfinder.

A Seat Belt History Timeline - Your AAA Network

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I think that teens should be required to wear seat belts. I think that they serve a very good purpose and can save someones life. Seatbelts will keep you in your position and help prevent bruises and injurys. Overall, seatbelts are very helpful and everyone should wear one.

• I feel that teens should be required to wear seatbelts. I think this becuase they overall save lives and reduce injury in the end. However if your 18 and in the back seat I feel that it shouldn't be required but highly encouraged to wear your seatbelt.

• I think everyone should wear seatbelts it is not that hard of a think to put on and off it is more your saftey and other people on the road and that are in your car I think wearing seatbelts she be a law for anyone and any age.

• I personally don't have a problem with wearing a seatbelt while being a passenger or driving. It really isn't a bother and doesn't disrupt my driving or comfort in any way. Besides the biggest factor is that they have been proven to save lives if you get in an accident. 

• I think that you should have to wear your seatbelt at all times. There is to many bad drivers or people that are under the influence that drive these days. I do think that you should have to wear your seatbelt in the back because just cause your in the back doesnt mean your safe if you get in a reck.

• I think everyone should have to wear a seatbelt in the car. People don't like to wear them because they are "uncomfortable" or "take too much time", but I'm sure you would be a lot more uncomfortable with injuries from getting in a car wreck. I know someone who wasn't wearing a seat belt in the back seat when he got in a car wreck and it threw him straight through the front window. But his parents were in the front wearing seatbelts and all they had were a couple of bruises and scratches, so if that doesn't prove they are effective then I don't know what will.

• Yes, I think that we should be required to wear seatbelts. No matter your age if you get in an accident you could still fly threw the front windshield and die. You will never be able to predict a car crash so you should be required to wear seatbelts at all times. And yes even in the back seats everyone should have to wear seatbelts. 

• I think that we should be required to wear seatbelts because they save many lives in crashes where people would have died instantly. And also yes I think that it should be a law to wear them in the back seat. It is really a choice for yourself if you really want to wear one in the back seat.

• I agree with you. Seatbelts save many lives and I don't really understand why people don't wear them. It's not like they are uncomfortable or something. They are for protection purposes only. So why not wear one?

• I think we should wear seatbelts because It can help a person survive. If you were to get hit by a car your body wouldn't fly out of the windshield because the seatbelt would help you. I think we should in order to keep people safe.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker