Should teens have to wear seatbelts?

Having to wear seatbelts hasn’t always been a law. It wasn’t until 1959 when Congress passed a law requiring that all cars must have something for safety. Lap belts were what people would usually choose but in accidents you had the potential to cause separation of the lumbar vertebrae. By 1965 all states had laws to require seat belts in vehicles.

The seatbelt design that is used today was created by a Swedish engineer Nils Bohlin in 1959. People's opinions opposed to seatbelts claims that “As long as the life risked is his own, I believe the individual should decide whether or not to use safety belts is wise.” Ralph Nader published his best selling book in 1965 ‘Unsafe at any Speed’. A decade later nearly 40,000 people died in the US from car accidents. 

“Ineffective, inconvenient and uncomfortable” are the thoughts of drivers that participated in a survey in 1985. People would go as far as cutting the seatbelts out. In my opinion I think for the people's safety and yours in the car you should wear one. If you are alone in your car I guess it’s really up to you but I still think it’s a good thing to have a law on seat belts.

Do you think we should be required to wear seatbelts?

Do you think that teans should have to wear seatbelts in the back like adults?

From Scorn to Worn: The curious history of seat belts > Columbus Air Force Base > Article Display.

The History of Seatbelts from Transfinder.

A Seat Belt History Timeline - Your AAA Network

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I agree with you that teens should be required to wear seatbelts, no matter the age or place in the car. I think it is the safest thing for everyone of all ages. I also agree that most drivers are unpredictable, and you never know if you are going to get in a crash, and if you're not wearing your seatbelt you can get really hurt.

• Your age shouldn't depend on when you're required to wear a seatbelt. Everyone should always wear a seatbelt no matter their age, comfort, or inconvenience. Seatbelts are incredibly effective and save lives every day. Teens can be categorized as irresponsible as well, so to give them an option of a seatbelt isn't smart.

• I think you should wear a seatbelt regardless your age. The fact that Adults dont have to wear seatbelts in the back seat in Iowa is very unsafe concidering if there was a car crash the adults in the back can seriously injure other people in the car. 

• Yes I agree I think everyone should have to wear a seatbelt, juat because they are older doesnt guve them a less likely chance of getting hurt.

• I think that seatbelts safe lives and should be worn regardless of how old you are. There are a lot of bad accidents where someone could have been saved if they were wearing a seatbelt so I think its important to wear them to protect yourself and others. 

• I think that everyone should be required to wear seatbelts. It can save lives and is better for your safety. Nowadays, I also feel like most of the seatbelts aren't as comfortable as they might used to be. Sometimes, you are also involved in accidents that aren't your fault, so it's better to use a seatbelt overall. 

• I think that everyone should have to wear seatbelts no matter what their age is. I don't think it should be optional and based on your age. If a seatbelt can save your life, it should be required to wear for all ages.  Accidents happen all the time, especially when teens are driving, I think that they should be required to wear them.

• Yes of course teens and everyone of all ages should be required to  wear a seatbelt. A seatbelt is for safety and I guess if you dont want to be safe and  possibly risk your life if you get into a crash, sure, dont wear a seatbelt. I think that teens should wear their seatbelts in the back too?

• I think that wearing a seatbelt is the smarter choice. If people didn't wear seatbelts, then there would be a lot more car accident deaths. Without a seatbelt, you would fly through the windshield. Even when you are sitting in the back, seatbelts are the smarter choice. 

• I think that it should be a requirement for the driver and the person in the passenger to wear a seatbelt not matter the age. I think that instead of an age requirement for the back seat, it should be based upon mass.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker