Should students take a self defense class?

Should students take a self defense class? When people think of self defense classes, they probably think of taekwando or karate. There is a self defense class going on in WIN right now for Junior and Senior girls, but I think it should be all female highschool students that are allowed to take the class. Self defense classes can obviously teach you how to defend yourself in an unsfafe stituation, but it can also boost your self confidence, spread more awareness, and improve your physical and mental health.

These classes are more geared towards teens/young adults but I think that everyone else should learn how to defend themselves. Self Defense training can help you learn how to descalate a situation and know how to deal with violence. In these classes, you would be taught about being more aware of your surroundings, having safety strategies, awareness of being vulnerable as a women/girl. I think the classes should be tought by woman survivors or victims with a lot of experiences.

One of the main things this class should focus on is awareness of sexual assault, domestic violence, and how to prevent abuse. I think that physical defense should always be your last option unless the person attacking you just came up and started punching you or something like that that is sudden. We are all in highschool and my guess is you have probably been bullied before, so why not learn how to defend yourself if the situation escalates to that extent.

Questions-

Would you take a self defense class? 

Have you ever been in a situation where you have had to defend yourself?

What ages should this class be for?

Sources-

http://www.ncdsv.org/images/selfdefenseinfo_lacaaw.pdf 

https://www.grabellaw.com/five-reasons-you-should-take-a-self-defense-class.html

https://smaschools.com/importance-and-benefits-of-self-defense/

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I personally would like to take a self defense class because I want to know how to protect myself in a life-threatening situation. Outside of my old house, I have never had a situation where I need to defend myself. I think the age for these classes should be around 13-15 years old. 

• I do think that offering self defense classes would be very beneficial to students. It can help them prepare for dangerous situations, I would take a class and I have never been in a situation where I needed to defend myself. 

• I think that self defense classes would be benefical to students because it can prepare you for certain situations. If we had that as an option I would probably sign up for a couple. I have never been in a situation where I had to defend myself.

• Overall I do think that self defense classes would be benifical in the long run. If that was an option at our school I think that I would sign up for it just to learn more things about self defense. Personally I have never been in a situation where I have had to defend myself. 

• I think this class would be nice to have for students because it is a good way for students to learn about ways to protect themselves in certain situations. I would take this class to learn some saftey things.

• I agree because it could teach you a lot about different safety strategies you could use in an unsafe situation.

• It would be good for a self defense class to be offered in high school. It wouldn't need to be required though. Some kids might not feel like they need to take the class and some kids would want to take it if they get picked on a lot. 

• I think self defense could be a good class to take and be able to learn. Hopefully no one would need to use it but if anything were to happen then it would be nice to know how to possibly survive or get away. EIther way it doesnt matter to me.

• Yes it would be nice knowing you could keep yourself safe if you were ever in that kind of situation.

• I think there should because if you are in a situation where you need to protect yourself then you already know what to do. Girls especially should take a self-defense class. It should be for anyone 8 and up.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker