Should Students Grade Teachers?

As of right now students are obviously graded by teachers. Grades are beneficial to show what a student has learned and where they are lacking. When a teacher looks at a grade for a class it can tell them multiple things. It could show what the students understood, where certain people excell or not, and give them a general idea of how long to teach a certain subject to get the best results. Some teachers also ask for feedback instead of just looking at grades and test scores. They do this by giving surveys or talking to students by asking what would be better ways to make them understand a topic and if certain ways of teaching are good. There are some teachers who will ask at the end of the year what they can do better to teach the class but not very many. 

If students were able to grade their teachers it woud be beneficial for both the student and the teacher. The student would be able to give their honest opinion on where the teacher is lacking and how they can improve. They can give their experiences in the class that are either good or bad. The students would then improve because bad habits or teaching methods will be removed and replaced with beneficial ones. While grading teachers sounds like a great way for teachers and students to be better it comes with some downfalls. Students may take this as an oppurtunity to lie about the teacher because they didn't like them for some reason. It could create a bad feeling for the teacher if they get a bad grade. Overall students could be immature and use the grading system as revenge or disrespect.

Personally I think that giving some sort of feedback throughout the year to teachers would be beneficial. It would make for a better experience in class for me and other students. I think it would help many peoples grades if teachers were able to teach how students learn the best. Teachers can't teach a whole class of students perfectly because everyone learns in defferent ways but feedback could help. I could see people taking this to their advantage and being disrespectful but overall it is a great way to benifit students. 

Has a teacer ever asked you for feedback?

Do you think students should grade teachers?

Do you think people would take advantage of grading teachers?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I don't think that students should grade teachers. I do however think that the office or administrators should listen to the kids more than they do. It is important to listen to the kids since they are the most important ones in the school. They are the future of our society and we need to make sure their education is looked after.

• I do agree that in a way the students should be listened to because we are experiencing everything in the school. 

• Teachers have asked me for feedback and I normally answer honestly. I feel that students should grade teachers on how well they teach. I think people would take advantage of it but the majority would not take it for their own benefit. 

• I do not really know if students should grade teachers but I think that the office and people should listen to complaints about teachers but I do not really know if that would be fair. But I think that this would be a good thing to try I think it would help teachers if they are bad at it.

• I agree that this could be a new thing for teachers to try and who knows maybe it would go badly.

• I think it is a good idea for students to grade their because it will help teachers know what works best for teaching I also think some teachers should be graded on how they treat students because a teacher should not be rude to the students. I have been asked by a few teachers for feedback.

• I agree that this would show the best way that a teacher teaches so they can use that method more.

• Yes I think students should grade teachers just as they do us. We should be able to grade them on how they teach. If they aren't teaching good and students don't understand it they won't know that unless the students give them feedback which we can't really do. 

• I believe that it could be possible in certain circumstances to have students grade their teachers if it is something that the teacher would like to hear their opinon on so they can also receive feedback to see if how or what they are teaching is helpful to their students. 

• Yes, I have been asked by teachers for feedback before on things like their teaching styles, how I best learn, and many things like that.  I think students should be able to grade teachers but not harshly just to help them know how you best learn and help them with their teaching style.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker