Do you think students should have to learn a second language in school to graduate? I think students should have to because it helps them in their future with the fact that it helps you make better sentences. It will also look great on your way to going to college since they look for people that know how to talk multiple languages most of the time. Learning a different language helps me a lot because I understand how to put sentences together that I didn't know how to do before and it is fun at the same time. 

There is lots of pros for taking a different language when it comes to learning different things. It is shown that some colleges actually require that you take 2 years of a different language in order to get considered of applying there. So maybe learning a different language isn't bad because it does help you in your future and you could even get a scholarship from a school. America also does not have a official language so there are lots of people in the U.S. that talk in language you might not know. But if you learn their language then you start having conversations with them and participate with them. 

When you decide what you wanna be when you grow up you have to realize that you will be talking with people that are from around the world and might not know english so it's helpful when it comes to your career as well. Yes, english may be the most common language that people speak but some people don't know it as well if you are not born with it. English is some of the most difficult languages there is in this world. We do things a lot different than people that talk different languages. But overall, I do think students should have to take at least 2 years of a different language.

Should should students be required to learn a second language?

Should it be more than 2 years required?

What kind of language would you learn if you were required to learn at least one for 2 years?

Source

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I do not think that a second language should be required. A majority of people will never use this second language outside of high school for the rest of their lives. I think it makes no sense to study hard at some things you will never use. I think that the only people should need to learn a foreign language are the people who are going to use it in their life or want to learn it.

• Yes it does make sense of why people would learn something that they will never use but it is still benefical for when it comes to colleges.

• This reply was deleted.
    • I agree people should learn it even if it isn't required it will just benefit them in their future for where they decide to go to.

• Just like this school, students shouldn't be required to learn a second language if there not going to college. But going to college, it should definitely be at least 2 years, mabey even 3 or 4. I would be interesting in learning and speaking Spanish if it was required, it might come usefull sometime in the future.

• I agree that you should be required to learn a second language if you are going to college.

• I think it should not be required because not everyone is going travel places where you need to know a different language. If i had to learn a differnent language it would be Spanish because I know a lot of people and have family members that don't speak english every good so it would help if I could speak to them in a language they do know.

• I agree that some people may not need to learn it if they don't plan on traveling but it is still helpful for when it comes if you have to work with someone that speaks a different language.

• I think that it would be helpful but it should not be required. I think that if its madetory that it should be 2 years. I think the one I would is the one I am in which is spanish because it is helpful.

• I do agree that it is helpful and spanish is a language that most people will speak in the US.

• I do not think students should be required to learn a second language because for the most part, they will probably forget most of it unless they need it for a job in the future. If I had to I would choose Spanish because that is one of the more popular languages so I could get help if I need it.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker