Should Sex Ed be taught in school?

In 5th or 6th grade us children usually watch a half hour video, about puberty and what will happen to our bodies throughout Middle School and High School. What we don’t know is what exactly we experience. We have to figure out ourselves what STI’s are, and how to treat our bodies the right way, what to expect from our bodies and how to treat a certain problem, like a yeast infection or balanitis.

I personally like to learn about our bodies and to help our bodies with the right treatment. We need to learn what’s bad and to keep safe. STI’s are a real thing, we need to protect ourselves. Using birth control, or using rubber, that doesn’t always keep us safe from herpes, syphilis, and CMV, these can be caused by kissing, and us being teenagers getting into relationships we need to stay clear from all of these.

Sex Education can be known as a funny class, we make jokes about it but this class will do justice to us as students to understand and help our bodies. For one, this class will make us more aware of the things going on in our bodies, and we need to know that, and I don’t mean on a cellular level just a basic concept so we know how to treat illness, or infections, to know if we need a check up from a doctor or to know if we can just treat it ourselves.

According to Iowa Code, “Each school board should provide age-appropriate and research-based instruction in human growth and development, including instruction regarding human sexuality, self-esteem, stress management, interpersonal relationships, domestic abuse, HPV and the availability of a vaccine to prevent HPV, and acquired immune deficiency syndrome as required in grades one through twelve.”

In only seven states, sex education is a required class in high school, Iowa is one, however, Iowa only shows kids the puberty video and that just doesn’t give us, now young adults, much information. Iowa is even supposed to give us a program called TPP. It would be apart of sex ed, but we don’t have the class. So, should Sex Ed be taught in school?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• No, I dont think it should be taught. Because, we had a class about sex education in 5th grade and no one listened and everyone was uncomfortable and thought it was funny. If they were to have an optional class for highschoolers then maybe but I think kids would just think its funny and not actually pay attention. 

• I believe that sex-ed should be taught in schools. If it is taught in school it should be taught to older kids. Through teaching sex-ed, students can feel more informed, make safer choices and have healthier outcomes. I think it would teach many young adults about the many things we need to know so we aren't clueless about this subject. 

• For our sake, it's for the best and it would be good to know whats wrong with our bodies, we arent very open with whats wrong but we dont always have to be as long as we can learn how to fix it and stay in the known.

• I believe that sex-ed should be taught in school. Many teens need this eductation to know the effects. Although the first few days would be laughs and giggles. I think that students would become even more mature because of this class. 

• It would benifit us, I can imagine how everyone would make fun of it and giggle about certain subjects but eventually we'll all learn how to keep us safe.

• I believe that sex-ed should be taught in schools. If it is taught in school it should be taught to older kids. Through teaching sex-ed, students can feel more informed, make safer choices and have healthier outcomes. I think it would teach many young adults about the many things we need to know so we aren't clueless about this subject. 

• Everything this class has to offer is good, its positive, it doesnt have to be an awkward subject or make you feel uncomfortable. It's just a subject for students to feel more comfortable in their bodies, make us aware of the harms our bodies could go through with being unprotected.

• In my opinion, this class would benefit many students and be a good class to have as an elective. Most people don't learn about their bodies and the things that could happen. This class would inform them but also give them information to benefit the students. 

• The benifits of this class would improve the statistcs around 20%, i still think it's a good idea and most students want this class, plus it's a required class in Iowa, but only about three schools have it. 

• Yes, I think this class could teach us the goods and bads about sex, or how to take care of your body, or if an infection is deathly. Most people never learn very much about their bodys. One class in 5th or 6th grade isn't very helpful to 9th, 10th, or 11th graders. Therefore, I think we should have this class for all high school students.  

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker