Should Schools Teach Mindfulness?

Mindfulness has been associated with the perceived reduction of pain in participants by upwards of 50%. Meditation is a practice that can help people tremendously with mental health and sometimes physical health. When we practice mindfulness, we learn how to make observations without getting wrapped up in thoughts or feelings. This is great when you're trying to make decisions that affect other people to figure out what the right decision is.

Mindfulness can help reduce feelings of anxiety. It can also help improve positive self-talk in people with anxiety. Nowadays when it comes to school work well all know that it can be very stressful and even worse if you have problems with anxiety, so practicing mindfulness in school will be great to reduce stress levels. At its most basic level, mindfulness is about attending to the present moment. We all know that when you have a lot it can be stressful and we tend to only focus on that stress. Practicing mindfulness and learning to pay attention to the present moment and focus on that can help more than you would think

Schools around the US and around the world have decided to add mindfulness into their everyday learning, so students can be ready to concentrate and learn about whatever they are learning that day. In a U.S.  news article, they explain, “Mindfulness practice may include activities such as asking students to notice the sights, sounds, and stimuli in the room, observe where they feel tension in their bodies, or simply take a few deep breaths before taking a test or starting a challenging project.”

In my opinion, I think that practicing mindfulness in school is a great way to teach students how to deal with stress in a healthy way and be even more ready to work well in class. Not everyone likes to admit that they deal with stress or anxiety but it does happen and it is hard to deal with when you don’t know how.

Questions 

Have you ever experienced problems with anxiety?

Do you think that practicing mindfulness in school is a good idea?

Do you ever practice mindfulness outside of school?

Sources

https://www.nytimes.com/ 

https://www.highlandparktherapy.com/ 

https://www.usnews.com/ 

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Good topic choice and summary Chloe! I would like to see reply much more frequently.

• I don't think that this should be like a required class. However, I think it would be a good elective or just club or something. It would be hard to grade or test people in this. It could be very helpful to many people though. So i think they should offer it as a class option.

• I think that it would be a good thing if students are aware of mindfulness. I don't ever practice it, but I can see why some people do. There are many benefits to it, so I think that practicing it inside school would definitely be a good idea.

• I do think that practicing this would help. There has been many times where I have been stressed out in school and maybe lashed out on a teacher or a student. Mant kids I think have this probelm. It would help people watch what they say and in all calm everyone down.

• Personally, I think making students aware of mindfulness is a good idea. They could use any skills learned to help reduce any feelings of anxiety/stress they may be having in any situation. As a result, they may perform better in the classroom. Mindfulness would also be useful after a student graduates from high school or college. 

• I think that practicing mindfulness is good for people because it can help them focus at certain times, such as taking a test or quiz. I usually take a deep breath before I start a test/quiz and I had no idea that it was called 'mindfulness' I figured that it was something everyone did before doing something big.

• I think that some students could benefit from learning mindfulness. It could help students that are dealing with stress and anxiety. Personally, I would not take this class.  I would rather take classes that could help me in the future such as business or math classes.

• I do think that practicing mindfulness in schools could be a great idea. I think it would help a large number of students that may be dealing with stress and anxiety. Students often struggle with stress and school and this could be a very helpful solution. I have experienced problems with anxiety and stress, and I think this would be a great idea for students that also have.

• Yes I think that this should be tought in our school. I think it would help alot with school shooters and kids getting help before they go out into the real world and realize its not all sun shine and rainbows. Yes I would think it would be good because students could also get help with test anxiaty.

• Practicing mindfulness is always a good idea if you have the tools to do it efficiently. I think it is a very good idea to teach and practice mindfulness with young students. Teaching them the right ways to calmly handle and think through stressful situations is essential for every human.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker