Should schools require certain classes?

Everyone has that one class that they despise. For me personally, I could live without History. Nothing against Bruns or anything, but I just don't see the point in the class if I'm never going to use the information in my future career. I also think that science, math, and English passed the basic knowledge needed for everyday human interaction is unnecessary. If you are thinking of pursuing a future career that requires this extra knowledge, take the dang classes in college. Some people might be thinking, well, history is needed to prevent the past from repeating itself and math is needed to solve your everyday arithmetic problems, English is needed for communication through speech and writing, and science is important for understanding the world around us. While these things are important, you don't need to know the difference between who and whom to communicate every day and we have spell check for a reason. You can also live without knowing how the human body works and the difference between your biceps and forceps, or how to find the hypotenuse of a right triangle or the surface area of a pentagon. History can be taught through stories and the experiences of other people. We don't need to know where Hitler went wrong in his rise to power. I think that we should be required to learn the basics then if we want to learn more about the subject, we can choose to take them for further knowledge.

Perhaps you have a different opinion or see something I don't.

What do you see?

Do you think that these classes are needed for the good of our future or not?

What class could you live without?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• How true. It is important to have a school environment to learn and I see your point of the importance of the seemingly useless classes.

• I think that most of the required classses we have are necessary for most things later in life. The only one that I can't understand why we have to take it is English past 8th grade. I haven't learned a single new thing all year in English. Instead, they should be requiring classes like foods or anything that has to do with taxes.

• I agree. I would really rather learn how to file my taxes, how to pay my bills, and how to apply for a job instead of reading Romeo and Juliet.

• I do think that schools should require the classes that they require now. I don't enjoy learning these subjects either, but they are necessary. They can help us decide what we want to do as a future career. Many of the skills we learn in school can help us at some point in our lives. Without taking these required classes, society as a whole would be much more naive and we wouldn't function properly.

• Great point. If society were more naive, it would fall apart much quicker than it already is.

• I dont think the school should require any classes. Because, how do they know thats what were going to use in the future. I know I will never learn any of the things we are learning in science or math in real life. I also think if theres anything you need to figure out you could always look it up on the internet. 

• While the internet has a lot of answers to our random questions throughout the week, it's not always reliable or accurate. You could be looking up a medical question and Google will most likely tell you that you're going to die. Anyone can post anything, at any time, from anywhere in the world and those people aren't always the professionals that you can trust.

• I think we should have required classes up to certaint point. I dont think the stuff were doing in math right now is ever going to be used in the future. I wont need to know how to find an angle of a triangle or the radius of a circle. It feels like were just getting busy work with this kind of stuff. I think we need to learn things that will actually help us succeed in life. Like taxes because everyone will need to know that regardless of what job they pursue. 

• Yes! We need classes that will help us in the future no matter what career path we take.

• I think we should be able to choose whatever classes we want to take without including core classes. Because most kids will not choose to take math or science if they know what they want to do in life. And if what that is, is fixing cars or something, learning advanced math and science will not help them. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker