Should Schools Provide an American Sign Language Class?

Sign language is a language that uses hand motions and facial expressions. This language is used to help people who are deaf, hard of hearing, or people that are unable to speak, communicate with everyone around them. Sign language can be very beneficial because it can help promote inclusion and communication with everyone. Over 70 million people in the world use sign language. In the nation, there are over 1,000 schools that teach American sign language. Harlan Community is not one of those schools.

American Sign Language (ASL) can be beneficial because it helps provide a way to communicate with others who cannot speak or hear. Most people who use sign language are deaf, hard of hearing, cannot speak English very well, have a disability, or other reasons. Without sign language, these people have to find different ways to communicate with others. American Sign Language helps promote equality for everyone. ASL gives people who are unable to speak or hear, an opportunity to live an equal life.

Students who learn sign language can communicate with those around them that are unable to communicate through speech. Learning ASL helps with inclusion throughout schools. Just like Spanish and French (which are foreign languages that Harlan provides), ASL provides another way to share their thoughts, it can also be used as a second language that you can use for colleges/universities. Some schools that accept sign language as a foreign language are The University of Iowa, Yale University, Florida State University, Baylor University, and many more. If students learn sign language, they are helping their future selves as well as the community. If you learn ASL, you might have a higher chance of getting a job because you know sign language and can communicate with others. 

In my opinion, I think that having the option of taking an American sign language class would be very good. Learning ASL could potentially benefit me in the future, if I have a family member that needs to use ASL, or I know someone or work with someone that uses it. Learning sign language can benefit you and others around you in many ways. I think that many people should learn ASL because it helps include everyone.

Sources:

https://www.nidcd.nih.gov/health/american-sign-language 

https://www.asldeafined.com/2019/04/american-sign-language-in-high-school/#:~:text=Today%2C%20there%20are%20over%201%2C000,offer%20American%20Sign%20Language%20courses

https://www.hrw.org/news/2019/09/23/without-sign-language-deaf-people-are-not-equal#:~:text=More%20than%2070%20million%20deaf,be%20included%20in%20their%20communities

Have you ever wanted to learn ASL?

Would you take an ASL class if Harlan offered it?

Do you think that it is important for students to have the opportunity to learn ASL?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Excellent topic and super job Rebekah!!

• I personally think that an American Sign Language class would be nice and beneficial, but unrealistic. I think that in bigger schools this class should be offered, but it is not worth it for how small our school is. Although I personally would not take the class if it was offered here. 

• I think that American Sign Language should be an optional class in your school. There are a lot of deaf people and even more people who can hear, but do not know how to communicate with them. I think that ASL is useful, however, I do not have any desire to learn it.

• I agree with you, I think that it should be given as an optional class, not everyone would be interested in learning it but that is also the same way with French and Spanish.

• Yes, when I was younger Kori and I learned a little bit of ASL so we could have secret conversations. I would definitely take an ASL class if Harlan offered it. I feel like students should have the opportunity to learn ASL because there are so many people who communicate only with ASL.

• I think that students should be able to learn ASL to communicate with people that use ASL only but also as a fun way to communicate in a secretive way with our friends.

• I think ASL is a fascinating language to learn and that schools should provide it. I think that in some ways it is more important than some other foreign languages because the odds are greater that you meet someone who uses ASL rather than french here.

• I agree, I think that ASL can be used on a much broader spectrum then french. ASL is used by the deaf, hearing impaired, special needs, mute, etc. 

• Yes, I have wanted to learn ASL I do know a little bit of it but not much. If Harlan offered this class I would take it because I have some family and friends who communicate with ASL. Yes, so they can talk with other kids and people. 

• This reply was deleted.
    • I agree, I think that students/people should be given the oppurtunity to learn ASL so that they can communicate with people that aren't able to communicate with speech. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker