Should Schools Provide an American Sign Language Class?

Sign language is a language that uses hand motions and facial expressions. This language is used to help people who are deaf, hard of hearing, or people that are unable to speak, communicate with everyone around them. Sign language can be very beneficial because it can help promote inclusion and communication with everyone. Over 70 million people in the world use sign language. In the nation, there are over 1,000 schools that teach American sign language. Harlan Community is not one of those schools.

American Sign Language (ASL) can be beneficial because it helps provide a way to communicate with others who cannot speak or hear. Most people who use sign language are deaf, hard of hearing, cannot speak English very well, have a disability, or other reasons. Without sign language, these people have to find different ways to communicate with others. American Sign Language helps promote equality for everyone. ASL gives people who are unable to speak or hear, an opportunity to live an equal life.

Students who learn sign language can communicate with those around them that are unable to communicate through speech. Learning ASL helps with inclusion throughout schools. Just like Spanish and French (which are foreign languages that Harlan provides), ASL provides another way to share their thoughts, it can also be used as a second language that you can use for colleges/universities. Some schools that accept sign language as a foreign language are The University of Iowa, Yale University, Florida State University, Baylor University, and many more. If students learn sign language, they are helping their future selves as well as the community. If you learn ASL, you might have a higher chance of getting a job because you know sign language and can communicate with others. 

In my opinion, I think that having the option of taking an American sign language class would be very good. Learning ASL could potentially benefit me in the future, if I have a family member that needs to use ASL, or I know someone or work with someone that uses it. Learning sign language can benefit you and others around you in many ways. I think that many people should learn ASL because it helps include everyone.

Sources:

https://www.nidcd.nih.gov/health/american-sign-language 

https://www.asldeafined.com/2019/04/american-sign-language-in-high-school/#:~:text=Today%2C%20there%20are%20over%201%2C000,offer%20American%20Sign%20Language%20courses

https://www.hrw.org/news/2019/09/23/without-sign-language-deaf-people-are-not-equal#:~:text=More%20than%2070%20million%20deaf,be%20included%20in%20their%20communities

Have you ever wanted to learn ASL?

Would you take an ASL class if Harlan offered it?

Do you think that it is important for students to have the opportunity to learn ASL?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Sign language is very important for people who are deaf, or people that know of others that are deaf. ASL would be very benificial for students to learn and easier than learning on their own. Plus, it would be good to do on your free and time and a nice skill to have.

• I think it is a good idea to offer a class for ASL, however, I do not think students should be required to take it. If there was a class for this in Harlan, I would probably not take it as it would not be worth the time. This is because I do not know anyone who is deaf or uses ASL.

• I do not think that ASL should be a required class, but I do think that it should be given as a choice, to give people an opportunity to learn ASL.

• I feel like it would be pretty cool if our school offered those classes. I would much rather take that class than spanish. I feel like people should know atleast some because there are so many deaf peaople in the world. 

• I agree with you, ASL should be offered as a class to give students another oppurtunity to learn a second language.

• I really want to learn ASL because it would probably be yousful when I get older. I would definitely take the class if harlen had it. Yes I think it is important because if they are working with a person who is deaf then they need to know how to how to do ASL so they can communicate with that person.

• I agree, I think that having an ASL class could help anyone in the future but especially if you are working in a field that has the possibility of people that cannot communicate through speech.

• I think if you live in or around a area with a higher dearing diabled population then yes. but if you dont i dont think it needs to be provided. Maybe as like a class you can sign up for if you as a sigual perosn want to.

• I think that teaching sign language to students can be beneficial even if they don't live in a place where lots of people need ASL. They may need it in there future.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker