Some people say that cell phones are a distraction in class which could be true and that they prevent socialization. But then there are some people that disagree with it because parents want to be able to track their children and/or check in with them just to make sure they’re safe or just how they're doing.

A School in Florida has recently banned cell phones and made it so students can’t have their phones so sometimes students have to go to the office just to ask if they can check their phones. But some parents weren’t happy saying that their kids should be able to contact them during their free periods. But then there were some good reasons for the ban such as kids filming things in the bathrooms that they called, “Toilet TikToks”, and that students are more talkative and making more eye contact.

I think that there are good and bad reasons for the cell phone ban, because like it said before, banning cell phones can probably help improve socialization. But not banning cell phones can be good because if students still have their cell phones, they can contact their parents or cops if there's ever an emergency.

Do you think schools should ban cell phones?

Should you be able to have your phone on you in class?

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/10/31/technology/florida-school-cellphone-tiktok-ban.html

https://fordhaminstitute.org/national/commentary/should-schools-ban-cellphones

https://theglobalscholars.com/should-smartphones-be-banned-in-school-the-pros-and-cons/#:~:text=The%20Pros%20of%20Smartphones%20in%20School&text=Students%20are%20able%20to%20contact,kidnappings%2C%20accidents%2C%20and%20assaults.

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I don't think schools should ban cell phones because most students wouldnt listen anyways and there would be problems with students arguing with it. I dont think students should be able to have there phones in class unless the teacher is done teaching.

• I do not think schools should ban cell phones as they are kind of important just in case there is an emergency or something of that sort, I think you should be able to have your phone on you in class just not be able to be on it unless the teacher says you can.

• I think we should be able to have our phones in class because I belive that if we have our phones in class our parents can text us about famliy members or emergency. I also bellive that if we had our phones and there was a emergency in the school like a fire or someone in the buliding we can text our parents letting them know.

• I don't think that they should ban them and they should keep it that way they have it. I am not sure if they should let you in the middle but if you have all of your work done they should let you have your phone back.

• I dont think schools should ban cell phones because if there is an emergency and the kid has to call a parent and they don't have their phone that could be a bad day for the school or the child. I don't think the school could legal ban phones.

• I think that they shouldn't fully ban cell phones because they could be used in emergencies. Yes, I think that students should be able to have their cell phones in class with them. I don't think that they should be on them though.

• I personilay dont belive that they should ban phones in schools. I do personilay love having my phone and use it alot. I may not always use for "school reasons" but I do use it for important things. Like some times i may forget somthing at my house, I can just text my mom to bring it for me.

• I don't think that schools should ban cell phones. I think that it should  be more of what the teacher wants to do. Teachers should be able to choose if they want the kids to put their phones up, in their bad, or if the students can be on it. Students should be able to check their phone in the hallways.

• I dont think schools should ban cell phone because kids need them for emergencys and if it is really a big problem to teachers then they have a special place to put up the students phones for the class. I think it depends on what class it is and like i stated before teachers can have the students put their phones somewhere else in the classroom so its not a distraction. 

• I most definitely think that we should be allowed our cell phones in school. I can completely understand having to deal with kids that abuse the power to use them, especially during class but it's unfair to the kids that can handle the opportunity.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker