Some people say that cell phones are a distraction in class which could be true and that they prevent socialization. But then there are some people that disagree with it because parents want to be able to track their children and/or check in with them just to make sure they’re safe or just how they're doing.

A School in Florida has recently banned cell phones and made it so students can’t have their phones so sometimes students have to go to the office just to ask if they can check their phones. But some parents weren’t happy saying that their kids should be able to contact them during their free periods. But then there were some good reasons for the ban such as kids filming things in the bathrooms that they called, “Toilet TikToks”, and that students are more talkative and making more eye contact.

I think that there are good and bad reasons for the cell phone ban, because like it said before, banning cell phones can probably help improve socialization. But not banning cell phones can be good because if students still have their cell phones, they can contact their parents or cops if there's ever an emergency.

Do you think schools should ban cell phones?

Should you be able to have your phone on you in class?

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/10/31/technology/florida-school-cellphone-tiktok-ban.html

https://fordhaminstitute.org/national/commentary/should-schools-ban-cellphones

https://theglobalscholars.com/should-smartphones-be-banned-in-school-the-pros-and-cons/#:~:text=The%20Pros%20of%20Smartphones%20in%20School&text=Students%20are%20able%20to%20contact,kidnappings%2C%20accidents%2C%20and%20assaults.

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• No they should not. We should be allowed to have them in class.

• I don't think schools should ban cell phones because that would be too controlling. I have had to talk to my mom many times in school for emergencies. I think you should be able to have your phone in class but you shouldn't be on it during learning time.

• I dont think schools should ban phones they are beneficial in many ways. It depends on the teacher's preference on phones if they don't mind they being out I will have it out if they prefer them to be put away as long as its a reasonable reason I will put it away. 

• I think schools should allow cell phones in class. At some point, teachers and schools need to allow us to take responsibilty for our cell phones and our learning time in order to prepare us for life outside of highschool. I think the only reason a teacher should not allow a phone is during tests and if it is becoming a distraction to other students in the class. 

• I do not think that schools should ban cell phones. I think that they should keep the rule of middle schoolers not being allowed to have them out at all throughout the day and I think that high schoolers should get them whenever they are not learning in class. 

• I do not think that  schools should ban cell phones for many reason. One, what if a student needs to get in contact with their parent. I know that we have email but people check their texts way more often than they check their emails. I think you can put your phone in a holder during class.

• I don't think schools should be able to ban cell phones. They may be annoying for teachers but it can be a safety issue if no one had their phone. There is often down time before/after class, and having a phone gives you something to do. As long as kids aren't on them when they shouldn't be, have phones on you in class isn't an issue.

• I don't think schools have the right to ban cell phones during free periods such as study hall, lunch, win. I think you should be able to have your phone in class as long as your paying attention and it's not a distraction. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker