Should School Uniforms Be Required?

How long have uniforms been required in schools? Well in fact, school uniforms have been seen in schools since 1222. They started in a school in England, but their school uniforms weren’t like modern uniforms, they had to wear a robe-type outfit called a cappa-clausa. After this, school uniforms started to become more popular throughout private schools, but what about public schools? School uniforms should not be required in public schools because it takes away the students' individuality, and creativity.

I can understand the argument for why we should have school uniforms, but the monotony may be boring to the students’ minds. It’s already hard enough to stay focused in some classes, let alone if you were wearing something that you found uncomfortable. The diversity in clothing choices of the students’ gives character. People may argue that students are pressured to fit in with name brand clothing, and trendy styles. This may be true in some cases, but that’s why the staff influence the students’ to think for themselves and to express them for who they truly are.

School uniforms have been around for a very long time. Some may say that we should keep them around, as some sort of tradition. The world evolves and people change. In my personal opinion, this is a movement that should be stopped. School uniforms remove the students’ originality and distinction.

Do you think school uniforms should be required? Why?

If they were required, what would your biggest complaint be?

Why do you like being able to choose your own outfits?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Personally, I don't think that they should be required. Though it would help out the dress code problem, it would create many more problems. Such as people not wearing the correct apparel or getting stains on them. 

• I agree with you, having to replace because of stains or sizing issues could becaome a hassle. I feel like this could get expensive and create more issues than what requiring them would solve.

• I don't think school uniforms should be required. They look so tacky and I hate matching people. The whole point is to be uniform, but that just makes kids feel less creative. Diversity runs through our culture. Many people share that culture through their clothing. School uniforms would be so uncomfortable.

• I couldn't agree with you more, just coincidently matching with one person itself makes me uncomfortable and unoriginal, I can't even imagine showing up to school with every single person wearing the exact same thing,

• I don't think uniforms should be required, teens like to express their emotions through their clothing. I know there's a lot of debate on this topic because of people not following dress code, but clothing has changed a lot since the dress code was made so maybe they just need to update it.

• I agree with you, I think if the school is worried about the students being more inclined to following the dress code by having school uniforms, they should just re-evaluate the dress code and modernize it. I think this would solve a lot of issues and complaints held in the school.

• I don't think school uniforms should be required because of the bore of wearing the same thing over and over for an entire year. If they were required my biggest complaint would be having to wash the clothes daily to be able to wear the uniform. I like choosing my own outfit because I can wear whatever I want any day of the week.

• I agree with you having to wear the same thing everyday would get very boring, and I don't think people take into account how long it actually would be. It wouldn't be just the one year, you would have to wear this uniform for your entire childhood education and I feel like that's just too much for the students and especially the children with developing minds that need diversity.

• I don't think that school uniforms should be required because of the fact that everyone will be wearing the same exact thing every single day. My biggest complaint if I had to wear them would probably be that they're uncomfortable because I would rather just wear shorts and a t-shirt.

• I agree with you, I want to be able to wear what I'm comfortable in feeling and looks wise. I think it would be boring wearing and seeing the same thing every single day.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker