Should School Uniforms Be Required?

How long have uniforms been required in schools? Well in fact, school uniforms have been seen in schools since 1222. They started in a school in England, but their school uniforms weren’t like modern uniforms, they had to wear a robe-type outfit called a cappa-clausa. After this, school uniforms started to become more popular throughout private schools, but what about public schools? School uniforms should not be required in public schools because it takes away the students' individuality, and creativity.

I can understand the argument for why we should have school uniforms, but the monotony may be boring to the students’ minds. It’s already hard enough to stay focused in some classes, let alone if you were wearing something that you found uncomfortable. The diversity in clothing choices of the students’ gives character. People may argue that students are pressured to fit in with name brand clothing, and trendy styles. This may be true in some cases, but that’s why the staff influence the students’ to think for themselves and to express them for who they truly are.

School uniforms have been around for a very long time. Some may say that we should keep them around, as some sort of tradition. The world evolves and people change. In my personal opinion, this is a movement that should be stopped. School uniforms remove the students’ originality and distinction.

Do you think school uniforms should be required? Why?

If they were required, what would your biggest complaint be?

Why do you like being able to choose your own outfits?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I don't think that school uniforms should be required because they seem uncomfortable. That would probably be my biggest complaint if they were required. I like being able to choose my own outfits because I know that they will be comfortable.

• I agree with you, I think the comfort of being in my own clothes is the only thing that gets me through the day honestly. I think it would be a big change if they suddenly required public schools to wear school uniforms, so I also agree with you that it in itself would probably be my biggest complaint.

• I don't think that school uniforms should be required because nobody will want to wear the same thing every day. I believe that students should be allowed to wear whatever they want to wear, and yes I like being able to choose my own outfits.

• I agree with you, I think it's nice being able to show your differentiality through the clothes you wear, and not having to wear the same thing as everybody else.

• i don't think that school uniforms should be required because when people all have to wear the same thing repeatedly, they get bored.  Also, people think less of themselves when they all wear the same thing because there is no variety in clothing. 

• I agree with you, I think having a variety in clothing is a good thing, it gives the boring school day a little bit of something. 

• I don't think that school uniforms should be required by schools. I believe students should be able to wear what they want. I really don't see the point of school uniforms. They're so outdated and requiring them doesn't allow students to express themselves through their clothing.

• I agree with you, I feel like this would fully take away our first right. The student's have mind's of their own and should be able to make at least the choice of wearing what they want to wear.

• No, because they don't really do anything for students besides show them that everyone should look the same, which isn't true. I wouldn't want to wear a dress shirt and pants to school every day. The point of not having them is to show that everyone makes their own decisions on what they wear.

• I completely agree with you, being able to choose your own clothes shows responsibility, and gives the students a choice. Trying to show that everybody is different and unique is difficult when you have everyone wearing the exact same outfit.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker