Should Prohibition be reinforced?

What is Prohibition? Prohibition is the banning of  making and selling alcohol. It was a constitutional amendment passed January 16, 1919. This amendment was set right after the ending of World War One. Domestic abuse rates were at an alltime high being one of the main  reasons prohibition was being enforced. The 1920’s was known to be one of the best times in history to live. However the 1920’s was the only time in history without alcohol (unless illegal). Drinking alcohol has many pros and cons.

Drinking is known to be only associated with a bad point of view. Nevertheless, drinking does have its pros. According to Harvard.edu, if you are in good condition, moderate drinking is shown to be good for your heart and circulatory system. Some people use drinking as a coping mechanism. Although drinking is not the best coping mechanism it eases your nervous system causing a sedated effect. Drinking also has its side effects which can give a not-so-good outcome.

Drinking may be fun, but it comes with its side effects. Drinking can cause severe liver disease, cancer, and severe memory loss. During the banning of alcohol, people still found ways to have fun without it. Alcohol leads to weight gain. Alcohol is considered a drug because of how addictive it can be. Alcohol can feel like it's easing your anxiety but in reality it is raising your stress rates. Drinking can also be a big cause of abnormal sleep schedules. Is drinking really worth the risks? 

Should we prohibit alcohol again? As I was saying before, the 1920’s being the only time without alcohol was also the happiest point in history. Before Prohibition domestic abuse rates skyrocketed and now, domestic abuse still takes place because of alcohol. Is alcohol really a good thing? Alcohol also has health benefits and concerns. Although there are slight health benefits of it there are also large health concerns. In my opinion I do not think we should prohibit alcohol again but I do think it would be smart to monitor alcohol use in america.

Should we Prohibit alcohol again?

Do you think drinking is worth the risks?

Do you think you could live during prohibition? 

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2730732/#:~:text=Alcohol%20induces%20euphoria%2C%20relaxation%2C%20and,et%20al.%2C%202005). 

https://www.loc.gov/classroom-materials/united-states-history-primary-source-timeline/progressive-era-to-new-era-1900-1929/prohibition-case-study-of-progressive-reform/#:~:text=In%201918%2C%20Congress%20passed%20the,behavior%20soon%20ran%20into%20trouble

https://mountainside.com/blog/alcohol/10-reasons-not-to-drink-alcohol/ 

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Good topic choice and well done! Be sure to comment three different days.

• I dont think we should prohibit alcohol entirely, but I think we need to do a better job of moderating alcohol consumption. Even though many people are reasonable with how much alcohol they drink, there should still be limits on how much a person can buy at a time. I think drinking is worth the risks in moderation, but it becomes an issue when people are drinking excessively.

• I don't think we should have achohol prohibited because a lot of things would happen but people should use it not that much which could lead to health problems and all sort of that. I think I would be able to live in prohibitation.

• I feel like there should be a limit on how much people could buy but there are some people use it like every once in a while but then there people that use it way to much and then it could cause health problems later in life so no, I don't think its worth the risk. I think I would live during prohibition.

• I dont think we should prohibit alcohol use because there are so many peope out there that are resonable with it so why should we punish everyone beacuse some people dont obey the laws 

• I don't think that we should prohibit alcohol use because there are many people that drink responsibly and we can have businesses that offer alcohol limit the amount a person can buy. I don't think drinking is worth the risk, it can lead to many problems down the road if you consistenly drink. I think I would live during prohibition if it ever occured.

• I don't think we should prohibit alcohol because there are many people that drink it and it could casue a lot of illegal actions. I think drinking is worth the risk because it can help people relax and not stress over things. Yes I think i could live during prohibition. 

• I think that prohibition wont become a thing again because of what has happened in the past. Considering the leniency of the new laws with alchohl I think it would become a big issue with people. Though there are many risks to drinking we all know it doesnt stop people but personally when it becomes an attiction it isnt worth the risks.

• I do think that while prohilbit shouldnthave even came to be in the year of 1919 it should have been banned from anyone that wanted to have it or do anything about it or we should just bann alchol forever its not save for anything including any litle kids or auldts eaither it should go away and just never come back every in anyones intire life to have as a drink

• I don't think prohibiting alchol again would be very smart, there would be a lot of crime and complaints about there being no alchol and would basically end up being a repeat of what happened last time they prohibited it. I'm not sure drinking is worth the risks and I'm pretty sure I would survive during prohibition if it ever happened.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker