Should Prohibition be reinforced?

What is Prohibition? Prohibition is the banning of  making and selling alcohol. It was a constitutional amendment passed January 16, 1919. This amendment was set right after the ending of World War One. Domestic abuse rates were at an alltime high being one of the main  reasons prohibition was being enforced. The 1920’s was known to be one of the best times in history to live. However the 1920’s was the only time in history without alcohol (unless illegal). Drinking alcohol has many pros and cons.

Drinking is known to be only associated with a bad point of view. Nevertheless, drinking does have its pros. According to Harvard.edu, if you are in good condition, moderate drinking is shown to be good for your heart and circulatory system. Some people use drinking as a coping mechanism. Although drinking is not the best coping mechanism it eases your nervous system causing a sedated effect. Drinking also has its side effects which can give a not-so-good outcome.

Drinking may be fun, but it comes with its side effects. Drinking can cause severe liver disease, cancer, and severe memory loss. During the banning of alcohol, people still found ways to have fun without it. Alcohol leads to weight gain. Alcohol is considered a drug because of how addictive it can be. Alcohol can feel like it's easing your anxiety but in reality it is raising your stress rates. Drinking can also be a big cause of abnormal sleep schedules. Is drinking really worth the risks? 

Should we prohibit alcohol again? As I was saying before, the 1920’s being the only time without alcohol was also the happiest point in history. Before Prohibition domestic abuse rates skyrocketed and now, domestic abuse still takes place because of alcohol. Is alcohol really a good thing? Alcohol also has health benefits and concerns. Although there are slight health benefits of it there are also large health concerns. In my opinion I do not think we should prohibit alcohol again but I do think it would be smart to monitor alcohol use in america.

Should we Prohibit alcohol again?

Do you think drinking is worth the risks?

Do you think you could live during prohibition? 

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2730732/#:~:text=Alcohol%20induces%20euphoria%2C%20relaxation%2C%20and,et%20al.%2C%202005). 

https://www.loc.gov/classroom-materials/united-states-history-primary-source-timeline/progressive-era-to-new-era-1900-1929/prohibition-case-study-of-progressive-reform/#:~:text=In%201918%2C%20Congress%20passed%20the,behavior%20soon%20ran%20into%20trouble

https://mountainside.com/blog/alcohol/10-reasons-not-to-drink-alcohol/ 

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I don't think we should prohibit alcohol again because of how badly it went the first time they tried to ban alcohol. Although it was a good idea, it led to more problems then solutions. There is also really no way to actually enforce it because they can't keep eyes on everyone.

• I agree with you I do not think we shouold prohibition should take place agiain. I think it went terrible the first time and people snuck alcohol all over. I agree that it led to way more problems than solutions.

• Alcohol is bad, there's no doubt in my mind about it. It's much more addictive and harmful than popular drugs, such as marijuana. However, the banning of it during prohibition only created more problems.

Prohibition was a good idea, but had a bad excecution. Instead of drinking legally through trusted sources, people instead obtained alcohol illegally, and getting alcohol from illegal sources very much does not guarentee safe drinking.

Instead of prohibition, there should be more of an incentive to drop alcohol, we live in a very pro-alcohol society, and despite how dangerous it can be, you don't see many anti-alcohol PSAs, besides drinking and driving infomercials.

We should not start prohibition again, we should instead create a society where the dangers of alcohol are more widespread, etc etc. We should have an organisation like TRUTH spread anti-alcohol PSAs.

• I agree with you alcohol was really bad and it can be really addictive if you have an addictive personaility. I also agree that prohibtion was a good idea with bad exicution. Finally I do agree that we should not prohibit alcohol again.

• I don't think that we should be prohibiting alcohol again because it would just cause more risk to the world because it will just be a repeat of what happened in the 20's. I don't think drinking is worth the risks but most people will still drink even if it has a chance of hurting them. I think I could live during prohibition because it is not like I drink anything anyways so it would be fine for me.

• I agree I can see prohibition coming back causing what happend in the 20's again. I agree I 100% do not think drinking is worth the risk and also people do still drink when it is causing problems. I agree I do not drink so it would not be a problem for me.

• I don't think that prohibition should be inforced again. I don't think that it would go well with people these days. I think that many people would be mad and simpily not follow the law. I think there would be lots of protests because lots of people drink alcohol. 

• I agree I do not think it should be enofred again. I think that many people would get upset if the governement radomly added this back to the consititution. Again I agree that people would not follow the law.

• I don't think prohibition should be inforced. Nowdays, I could see a bunch of protest happeneing and it would cause total chaos. Americans mabye need to slow down but theres no way they can fully stop drinking, The problem is some people drink to the point to where they have no control over what they're doing.

• I could see protest happening again. I agree. With the protests going on now it would add more violence to the streets. I agree with you that maybe americans need to slow down, but in today I do not think that everyone could stop.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker