Should plastic water bottles be banned?

" About 70% of plastic water bottles bought in the United States are not recycled." Most of the plastic water bottles end up in the sea or landfills. Also, plastic water bottles can create micro plastics that can leak into the ocean. There are reports of microplastics in humans and the health effects of it. "Microplastics have been detected in food consumed by humans" Side effects of microplastics are nausea vomiting and many other effects.

Theirs lots of alternatives like using a metal water bottle, also boxed water is good and better for the environment. Instead of buying plastic water bottles get glassed water it's a better option. The glassed water might be a little more expensive but its better for the environment. 

By having the plastic water bottles being banned there's a lot of benefits like having better drinking water and having less pollution.

Do you use single-use plastic water bottles?

What do you think the United States is going to do about it?

Lee, Yongjin, et al. “Health Effects of Microplastic Exposures: Current Issues and Perspectives in South Korea.” Yonsei Medical Journal, U.S. National Library of Medicine, May 2023, www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC10151227/#:~:text=These%20toxic%20substances%20can%20enter,%2C%20vomiting%2C%20and%20abdominal%20pain.

“What’s In Your Water Bottle? Concerns about Microplastics in Caps.” Environmental Working Group, 27 Oct. 2023, www.ewg.org/news-insights/news/2023/10/whats-your-water-bottle-concerns-about-microplastics-caps.

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I do use plastic water bottles, There easier to take to school because you don't have to fill up a metal water bottle. I don't think that they should be banned because I use them constantly and people should be recycling more so we shouldn't have to even think about recycling.

• In my opinion, single-use plastic water bottles shouldn't be banned. However, I feel that more people should recycle to prevent pollution in the ocean. I do not think that the United States will ban plastic water bottles, but I do think that it's possible that they might eventually put in place systems to prevent pollution of the ocean.

• I agree plastic water bottles are very bad for are enviernment and should stop being used in todays comunities. I also personaly belive that by getting ride of plastice bottles and using "boxed water" could lead to huge amounsts of deforestation.

• I agree plastic water bottles should be taken care of but boxed water is recyclable 

• I use plastic water bottles. They are very easy to just grab them from the fridge and throw them away. I don't think they should be banned. I feel like more people should recycle them and then we wouldn't have to consider banning plastic water bottles.

• I use single plastic water bottles if I really need a water or since the grocery only has plastic water bottles. I think the United States might do something about it in the near decade or so as it is becoming a problem for the ocean.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker