Should plastic water bottles be banned?

" About 70% of plastic water bottles bought in the United States are not recycled." Most of the plastic water bottles end up in the sea or landfills. Also, plastic water bottles can create micro plastics that can leak into the ocean. There are reports of microplastics in humans and the health effects of it. "Microplastics have been detected in food consumed by humans" Side effects of microplastics are nausea vomiting and many other effects.

Theirs lots of alternatives like using a metal water bottle, also boxed water is good and better for the environment. Instead of buying plastic water bottles get glassed water it's a better option. The glassed water might be a little more expensive but its better for the environment. 

By having the plastic water bottles being banned there's a lot of benefits like having better drinking water and having less pollution.

Do you use single-use plastic water bottles?

What do you think the United States is going to do about it?

Lee, Yongjin, et al. “Health Effects of Microplastic Exposures: Current Issues and Perspectives in South Korea.” Yonsei Medical Journal, U.S. National Library of Medicine, May 2023, www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC10151227/#:~:text=These%20toxic%20substances%20can%20enter,%2C%20vomiting%2C%20and%20abdominal%20pain.

“What’s In Your Water Bottle? Concerns about Microplastics in Caps.” Environmental Working Group, 27 Oct. 2023, www.ewg.org/news-insights/news/2023/10/whats-your-water-bottle-concerns-about-microplastics-caps.

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I think that banning water bottles would be better for the environment, but people would have to come up with a new way to hand out water. Bottled water is a very easy way to give people water such as, in a parade, at a booth, or at a fundraiser. At some events groups/people hand out water bottles, but without plastic water bottles it would be much more expensive and they would be losing lots of money so that they are able to give people water for free.

• I think that the U.S should get rid of plastic water bottles and instead put up a lot more drinking fountains and water bottle refiling stations. This would encourage people to buy a water bottle and not spend money on a pack of plasti that will just get thrown away. I think that when people have parties, they should ask the people that are coming to bring their own water bottles so they wouldn't have to buy a bunch of plastic.

• I sometimes use plastic water bottles, but I mostly use my reusable metal bottle. I know that plastic bottles and other things can affect large bodies of water and can end up harming our environment, but I think that people most likely won't stop using them. I don't think the U.S. is going to do anything about it.

• Most of the time I use a metal water bottle instead of a plastic one. I try to only use plastic ones only when I really need to. Also I make sure I recycle them when I am done with them. I don't really think the United States is going to really do anything about it, but they should try to find an alternative so we can fix this problem.

• I do not use plastic water bottles, I prefer to use a reusable metal one. There are many benefits from using a reuseable one, like it's better for the environment and it keeps the water colder for longer. The United States could definitely find a better alternative than using all the plastic.

• After a long time im use to my refillable water bottle it has a better taste it better overall.

• I personally use plastic water bottles and I most likely always will, I know that in states that border the ocean it defintley can be more of a problem. The United states probably wont do anything about it in the mid west but i could see a change in states by the ocean.

• I personally use a reusable Hydro Flask water bottle everyday. I think that plastic water bottles are horrible for the bottom, especially because the majority of them are not disposed of properly. I hope the United states will find a more environmentally friendly alternative to plastic water bottles. 

• I rarely ever use plastic water bottles, usually when I am in a hurry and need something to drink. Plastic water bottles can be a lot easier to use because there not super big and heavy like a regular water bottle. I like to use my Stanley when I drink water because It is always filled with ice and will make it not melt because I like my water to be cold. 

• I use plastic water bottles sometimes when im in a hurry to go somewhere. They are very easy to grab one and go I personally dont think they should be banned because they serve a good purpose I however think more people should just recycle. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker