Should Photoshop be banned?

Photoshop is an app that can alter photos so that you can make them look just how you want them to. Most advertisements and influencers usually use photoshop to make their pictures look even better in hopes that it will bring them more customers or followers. Unfortunately, sometimes this has a negative impact on people, so should photoshop be banned?

Photoshop is used to make any imperfections in your picture perfect. But then that altered photo is passed off as the real thing without many people even noticing. For example, if a company photoshops the model to have smoother skin, it might make someone feel insecure about themselves. About 99.9% of photos seen online have been photoshopped in some way. That means that most of these pictures are not the real copy, and there are more perfect photos that people might compare themselves to. 

Although photoshop can have a negative effect on people, it can also be positive. It allows artists to be more creative. Photoshop isn’t always used to create unrealistic standards, many times it is used to make a more unique design. This can bring joy to artists and might even bring in more customers for businesses.  Without Photoshop, it would be more difficult to make a beautiful, unique picture. Sometimes it can be used as a tool for an artist or photographer. 

Photoshop can be both good and bad. I think it's good that it can make images more creative and beautiful, but I don’t think it's necessary to alter the way people look. Photoshop is just an app and it's the person using it that can cast it in a negative or positive light. I also hope people realize that not every picture they see is real, I think that could help too. 

Have you ever used photoshop? 

Do you think it should be banned? 

Sources: 

https://www.bwillcreative.com/what-are-the-effects-of-photoshop-on-society/ 

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I don't think that photoshop should be banned. It offers a lot of opportunity for photographers who want to get creative when they are editing their pictures. I can see the "danger" when photos are getting edited too much and they look very different, so people can get a different/wrong impression of a person.

• I agree, I think it is good for creativity

• I have not used Photoshop and do not plan on using it on pictures of myself especially. But I feel it can be useful for some people, for example, professional photographers. I don't think that Photoshop should be banned because it really doesn't cause anything or anyone harm. 

• I don't think it should be banned but I think people who use it a lot probably shouldn't. All it does is make you look better so people online can see a "fake" version of yourself. But the mental health issues are more problematic than what most people realize, cause you are just trying to change your appearance to look better online. 

• I don't think that Photoshop should be banned, but it should be used with caution. The internet has made so many people, especially teenage girls, insecure. It is important not to change your body in Photoshop. I feel like social media should normalize being your authentic, natural self. Not fixing your body to fit a beauty standard. 

• I've never used photoshop to edit my face but I have to blur the background or to edit an unwanted bystander. I don't see how there's anything wrong with Photoshop. If someone wants to edit themselves or another picture, then they should be able to do so.

• I have personally never used Photoshop, and I don't think I probably ever will. But I don't think it should be banned because some people use Photoshop for other reasons than just editing their pictures to make themselves look different. 

• I have used photoshop I think that sometimes it's usefull. When you use it tho you can fix your picture  the way you wanted to turn out to look like. I think that there is people that go overboard to make their picture.

• No, I have never used photo shop but I also dont think it should be banned. Because many famous people use it and they would never stop becasue they dont people to see what the actuallly look like. I think they should bann it for a short period of time jsut so you can see how fake everyone is.

• I agree, I think celebrities use it a lot, but I don't think it should be banned

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker