San Francisco's quarterback Colin Kapernick started kneeling during the national anthem in 2016. Since then hundreds of players have kneeled with him to call attention to the issues of racial inequality and police brutality. As of 2019 only 3 players kneel every game. But, many kneel at least one game a season. Some teams have decided to stay in the locker room as well.  The NFL has put  rules into place prohibiting kneeling during the national anthem, however, certain players still continue to kneel. Punishment for not kneeling could be as follows, fines, suspensions, or to forfeit a draft choice. The punishment can go father than just the NFL though. Each team can determine punishments for their own players. Jerry Jones from the Dallas cowboys said that anyone kneeling on his team will be suspended. 

Kneeling during the national anthem shows disrespect to our flag and the people who fought for it. It also is ineffective and not a productive way to support a cause. When players kneel it divides our country and sows division in it. On the other hand, kneeling during the national anthem is legal and peaceful, and it shocks people into paying attention. 

Since Colin Kapernick started kneeling in 2016 kneeling for the national anthem has spread to more than just football. Athletes in soccer, baseball, and basketball are now kneeling too. Overall I believe kneeling for the national anthem is disrespectful and should not be allowed. I think anyone who kneels for it should be punished. 

Do you think kneeling for the national anthem should be allowed? 

Do you think players who do choose to kneel should be punished? 

Do you think it is respectful to kneel during the national anthem? 

https://www.procon.org/headlines/kneeling-during-the-national-anthem-top-3-pros-and-cons/ 

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/23582533/nfl-owners-approve-new-national-anthem-policy 

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/nfl-national-anthem-policy-2020-kneeling-protests/1o88fwivdxvqu1d8nnbiw5dw3z 

https://www.procon.org/headlines/kneeling-during-the-national-anthem-top-3-pros-and-cons/ 

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/23582533/nfl-owners-approve-new-national-anthem-policy

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Good topic choice and well done Adrian!

• In the flag code (rules for how to respect and honor the flag) there is no where that states that kneeling for or during the anthem/around the flag is disrespectful. Everyone has the decision as to whether they would stand or put their hands on their heart for the flag. There are, however, rules taht stae that a flag is not to be used as decoration, apparel, or drapery. This means that it should be hung on a wall in a bedroom (different from being hung from a pole), be embroidered on any pillows or handkerchiefs, or be printed on any napkin or cup or anything intended for temporary use and discard. It should also never be worn around the shoulders as a sort of cape as that is extremely disrespectful.

• Although I may not agree with it, kneeling is a form of peaceful protest and should be allowed to let everyone keep their first amendment right. Secondly,  I do not think they should be punished because society will probably give them a lot of backlash for doing that. Lastly, yes, I do think kneeling ding the national anthem is disrespectful. 

• I think kneeling during the National Anthem is very disrespectful. We all stand for a reason during the Anthem and that is to respect the flag. When they start they say “Please stand for the National Anthem”, for a reason. Kneeling is just disrespecting veterans who fought for this country.

• by kneeling during the national anthem you are not being disrespectful, you are showing respect for POC in general and honestly, we should be kneeling. In America, everyone is so sensitive to any new concept with the flag or anthem, and it's time that we change. We don't do much for the poor POC communitys and the police brutality is horrible. Defunding cops Are the next best steps for a safer and healthy America in general. 

• If you kneel during the national anthem it is disrespectful to those who fight for your right. If you feel the need to kneel for a 2 minute song that shows respect for those who allow you to be free than you should move elsewhere. Those who fought have nothing to do with the police brutality and racial inequalitys and if you feel the need to bring attention to those things you could bring attention to them in literally any other way. 

• I think it's stupid that anyone could disrespect our nation and the people who died for their freedom. With that said, I think that they do have the right to do so, and I think that we cannot make any laws encroaching on thier freedom of speech. I may think that it is disgraceful, but they have the right to say what they want. I do think, however, that any team owners who have brains should fire them so that they don't put marks on the team's reputation.

• I find it sad that most people find it more offensive when someone kneels on the football field than when a police officer kneels on a man's neck and he dies. Kneeling is a way people protest against police brutality. The flag does not represent veterans, and our veterans fight for our FREEDOMS, not for our flag. The flag represents America and patriotism, and the government, and if someone dissagrees with things going on in our country or government, they should be able to dissent with a simple kneel. Again, people are dying due to police brutality and all people care about is a flag, not actual people and that is extremely dissapointing. 

• The national anthem has nothing to do with police brutality. Those who kneel are protesting police brutality when the men and women who keep you safe have nothing to do with it. If the players want to actully protest something other than just drawing attention to themselves they should do so with something that relates to the actual problem. If someone can't stand for the national anthem then they should simply move to another country. 

• No, I think that everyone should stand out of respect for our flag and our country. I think to a certain extent, they should be punished. However, I don't think they should be punished severly. I think it is disrespectful to kneel during the national anthem. The things we do in our nation is owed to the veterans and those who have come before us. It would be disrespectful to kneel for the thing that represents and honors those men and women. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker