Should Nanny Cams be Legal?

Nanny cams are security cameras that parents set up in the house so they can watch their nannies/babysitters while they are on the job. The morality of them has become a widely debated topic. Some people think they have the right to see what's going on inside their homes, while others feel it is a breach of privacy if they are recording without the babysitters consent. As of now, it is legal to take a video of what is happening  in your house. However, the camera has to be in public places like the kitchen or living room, not bathrooms or bedrooms. On the other hand, in several states it is illegal to take an audio recording of someone without their consent. For this reason many nanny cams do not record audio. If abuse/neglect was caught through the audio recordings it would be inadmissable in court and the owner of the recording would be charged for breaking privacy laws. 

There are many pros to nanny cams, especially if you are the parents. They offer peace of mind, they monitor the child's safety, and it allows the parents to be more connected. If they hired a new nanny or babysitter, it would be hard to leave them with a stanger and not know if they are safe. These cameras allow them to see what is going on, and assure their child's safety. Also, many parents who are at work all day could miss major milestones made by their kids. A nanny cam allows them to watch their kids and not miss out on special moments in their development.

There are also many cons to having nanny cams. The cameras could make the babysitter feel unsafe, it could be misleading, and the parents could also be breaking the law. If I was a babysitter and I found a hidden camera in the house, I would feel very unsafe and like my privacy has been violated. The cameras could also be misleading because if there are 2 children and 1 is crying and the babysitter is with the other, it would seem as if the didn't care and wasn't paying attention to the crying child. The parents could also be breaking the law if they are taking audio recordings and they aren't aware, which would defeat the purpose of the cameras. 

Do you think nanny cams should be legal?

Have you ever found cameras in the house you were babysitting in?

Should babysitters have to consent to nanny cams?

https://blog.urbansitter.com/nanny-cam-the-pros-and-cons-of-using-one/

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I agree that it is good for the parents because they can check throughout the day.

• I wouldn't care if there was a camera cuz I don't have anything to hide. But It would be nice to know if I'm being watched out of respect for my privacy. I feel like if the parents were really concerned with the babysitter they shouldn't have hired them. But I'm sure if they hired them and told the babysitter about the camera and they were still okay with it then it's fine.

• I think that if parents want a nanny cam they should be able to have it. I can understand why you'd want that extra safety measure for your child just to be extra safe. It would also come in handy if it was ever needed in court or someone broke in.

• I personally think that if the parents think they need to watch the nanny they shouldn't have hired them. I wouldn't want a camera watching me all day if I was nannying. If they wanted to set up a camera they should let the nanny know before they hire them to see if they are okay with it then they could use it if they were. I guess it should just be up to the nanny if it is used or not.

• I also agree that if you need a camera you shouldn't have a babysitter.

• I think that if a parent is worried about this kid of stuff they just need to hire a babysitter that is ok with being recorded. The people I babysit have a camera in their house and it doesn't bother me because I have nothing to hide and they know I am doing my best to keep the child safe.

• I agree as long as the babysitter knows I would be okay with it

• I think nanny cams should be legal. For extra safety and self-assurance, it is a good idea to put cameras up when your kids are being looked over. And it is your home if they don't babysit while there are cameras they don't have to. But their cameras should be acknowledged beforehand.

• I think that nanny cams should be legal.  The parent should have the right to know how a nanny/babysitter is treating their child, especially if it is in their own home.  I think that the parent should let the nanny know that they have the cameras beforehand.  

• I think nanny cams are alright to an extent. As long as the parents don't have them in places like the bathroom and aren't taking audio recordings I think it's okay. Some parents like to be able to monitor their children, and in some cases, a nanny camera has stopped further abuse from babysitters. I think that having consent from your babysitter or at least letting them know they're there is a good idea. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker