Should men get paternity leave from work?

Should men get paternity leave from work?

Should men get to go on paternity leave? As mentioned by Linkedin, new fathers should take off a good chunk of time to get used to being a father and to help their wives. The median length of leave for fathers in the U.S. is about one week, compared to 11 weeks for mothers. But according to the U.S Department of Labor, around 70% of men only take 10 days or less for parental leave. 

Most people feel that men should keep going to work after their kid is born, because if they stay home for a whole month, where is their monthly income coming from? I feel like it’s a life-changing experience for both the father and the mother, most people may think it is a bigger deal for the mother than the father but they’re wrong. They should both get an equal amount of time off to spend with their newborn. 

Do you think men should get longer paternity leave? 

Does the birth of a child only impact the female? Why or why not?

Sources: https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/should-men-required-take-paternity-leave-dan-schawbel?trk=pulse-article_more-articles_related-content-card

https://www.forbes.com/sites/shelleyzalis/2018/05/03/why-mandatory-parental-leave-is-good-for-business/?sh=533d74a9dedb

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I believe that men should get longer paternity leave due to the growth of their families. Women do go through more during pregnancy but their significant other should always be there for them whether in person or overall. The birth of a child does affect women and having their significant other to help for longer would make the women less stressed. 

• I think that this is different for every family. In general, I think that men should get paternity leave as well as women. It depends on the family, how dependent they are on who's income and who wants to spend more time at home with the new born. 

• Yeah, I also think that it really just depends on the family. After all, it's up to them whether or not they take time off or not. 

• I do think that men should also get paternity leave. Often first-time fathers don't get to spend time with their new born and they should be able to stay home like woman do. I think that the birth of a child impacts both genders because they both play a part in the babies life. 

• I agree, most men don't get the time off that they deserve. They deserve to spend all the precious moments they can with their new born. 

• I think that it would not matter if men had perternaty leave but it would be helpful for the mom. It does not only impact the mom it also impacts the dad. It might impact the mom the most though. The dad still gets impacted in many ways.

• I think that it depends on certain things. If the male person is very busy during this time, I think that they should be entitled to paternity leave. Though men are not as important as women soon after childbirth, they may still play an important role in the moments after childbirth, such as; assistance, spending time with the child, and more. 

• I think that every situation is different, and it really just depends on the family. If the mom works more than the dad, maybe the father will take off some time to care for the child while the mother tries to get back to work. I think that if it is totally necessary, that men should get some sort of paternity leave, but overall, I think that it is more for the mother to recover and get back to their new normal life. 

• I think that men should be able to take a paternity leave but not as long as the mothers. I think that it is important to all bond as a family. I think that both parents should be able to take some time off from work and take care of their baby. 

• I think that men should get paternity leave but not as much as a women. I think that as the men he should be able to spend time with his kid but he also needs to work so he can support the kids. I think that it should aslo be a choice for the husband if he want to have paternity leave. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker