Should men get paternity leave from work?

Should men get paternity leave from work?

Should men get to go on paternity leave? As mentioned by Linkedin, new fathers should take off a good chunk of time to get used to being a father and to help their wives. The median length of leave for fathers in the U.S. is about one week, compared to 11 weeks for mothers. But according to the U.S Department of Labor, around 70% of men only take 10 days or less for parental leave. 

Most people feel that men should keep going to work after their kid is born, because if they stay home for a whole month, where is their monthly income coming from? I feel like it’s a life-changing experience for both the father and the mother, most people may think it is a bigger deal for the mother than the father but they’re wrong. They should both get an equal amount of time off to spend with their newborn. 

Do you think men should get longer paternity leave? 

Does the birth of a child only impact the female? Why or why not?

Sources: https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/should-men-required-take-paternity-leave-dan-schawbel?trk=pulse-article_more-articles_related-content-card

https://www.forbes.com/sites/shelleyzalis/2018/05/03/why-mandatory-parental-leave-is-good-for-business/?sh=533d74a9dedb

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I agree with you, but I personally feel men should get the same amount of time off as women do. It should be fair for both of them.

• This reply was deleted.
    • I agree with you, men should definalty get more time off. Both males and females should get around the same amount of time off. 

• I think  men should get more paternity leave and use it if they choose. Fathers should be allowed to leave and if they don’t want to use it they don’t have to. Not all moms use all of the time that they're given, but they still have the option to. Having more leave time both parents can have time with their kid. Kids' births impact both parents because they both have to get use to taking care of a kid and being parents. 

• I think that men should get more paternity leave and use it if they choose. Fathers should be allowed more leave and if they don’t want to use it they don’t have to. Not all moms use all of the leave time but they still have the option to. Having more leave time both parents can have time with their kid. Kids' births impact both parents because they both have to get use to taking care of a kid and being parents. 

• I think men should get more than a week off from work for paternity leave because they need time to adapt to having a child in their life and to help their wife take care of a baby. The birth of a child affects both parents although it affects the mother much more than the father due to the women having birthed a child, which is one of the most painful things.

• This reply was deleted.
    • While I do agree with you, I do still think the father should get around the same time off that the woman does. Just because they both worked hard to make that baby so they both should have equal time with it when its born. 

• I agree with you it is a life-changing expieriance for the mother and father. I think men should have paternity leave to take care of their children. The birth of a child deeply impacts the father and mother. I think it physically impacts the mother more though.

• I think men should be able to go paternity leave. They would be able to help the mother, other wise she would be left home alone. The father is going to want time with his new child just as much as the mother does. Both the mother and the father are impacted by this new child.

• I think that men should be able to go on paternity leave to help the mother. I think if the father goes to work and the mother is left at home with the baby all day and the baby is restless, it would be really hard for the mother to keep going. Thats why I think the father should be able to stay home with the mother to help her. 

• I think men should be able to get paternity leave. There are many things that impact a new father. They have to take care of both the baby and the mother, and they are going to want quality time with their new child. The mother and the father both get severely impacted when they have a newborn, maybe a little bit more for the mother because she is the one giving birth, but it still effects both.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker