Should kids own electronic devices?

Since the beginning of time, there have been many distractions, but nowadays we live in a world that is full of technology. At least everyone you know owns an electronic device, including young children, but do you even know if it's good for them? Many people have debated that kids below 7 should not get any electronic devices, but what is the actual problem with kids getting electronic devices?

The concern is that about 80% of kids below 8 own electronic devices such as smartphones, tablets, gaming consoles, and many more. Some kids nowadays don't go outside to play like their brothers and parents did. Parents are worried their kids will become sedentary because of the devices, these actions cause the kids an unhealthy lifestyle that can lead to obesity and diabetes. In the U.S. there are about 3.2 million deaths that are caused by physical inactivity including children. Another reason why some don't like children to handle electronic devices is cyberbullying, which can happen in games or apps. Cyberbullying can affect a kid's mental health causing them to believe what the person is saying, this can affect their attention span and their academic success. In other cases, cyberbullying can start suicidal attempts and death. Another reason why some think they're not safe is because they can watch inappropriate content on the media. Experts say that kids who have a screen time of 3+ hours can also develop sight issues in the future; the bad thing is that kids watch addictive videos that are categorized as safe content that can cause them to act in a strange behavior and if the video is removed they might throw a massive tantrum.

But it isn't all negative, parents can control the content and what apps their children are watching, controlling screen time and type of content is a great idea, but not many parents know how. Some kids who own electronic devices can watch educational content that their parents approve and they can learn while viewing, or parents could download apps like Duolingo and many more that can give the kid new skills to learn. People also like electronic devices because kids can develop skills and new talents whether they are technology, or learned on videos.

In my opinion, kids should not be allowed to freely browse through the internet until they get older, let them play with toys, let them get dirty, and let them play outside, I think that the issue is the parents because they give them an electronic device so their kids can calm down, be quiet and don't bother, and if they gave them an electronic device (I-pad) they at least should put parental controls to keep their kids safe, it is ridiculous the number of irresponsible parents who just give them a tablet and let them view whatever content they want. There are parents who know that their kids are watching inappropriate content but don't do anything about it. To be honest, based on my experience of seeing the effect technology has on my little cousins, I think that it is slowing them down and making them more sedentary, so in conclusion kids below 8 should not get electronic devices.

Do you think kids should be allowed to use electronic devices?

Do you think that kids will do better or bad without devices?

Do you think that controling the content they watch will help?

https://www.pewresearch.org/internet/2020/07/28/childrens-engagement-with-digital-devices-screen-time

https://connectusfund.org/16-pros-and-cons-of-children-using-technology

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I think that kids should be able to use electronic devices. I think that kids should be able to use electronic devices because its the modern world. Kids will need things like celphones to call there parents. But i do think that a kid should start out with a flipphone insted of a smart phone.

• I personally agree with kids starting with flip phones because growing up I owned a flip phone at age 8 because my parents wanted me to communicate with them when I came home and didn't want me to become addicted and it helped me understand a little bit the topic of technology, but I think in the future there won't be any flip-phones because of the new modern technology.

• kids shoul have them so they cant talk to other people but parents should talk to them bout them .

• I disagree because we are talking about literal children who should not even care about socializing through a phone, but if parents actually did they should certainly talk about dangers.

• I think that their shoudl be a certain age where kids get phones. Kids would do better in some ways with electronics and not with elronics. Controling what they watch could help with this.

• I think that electronics can be beneficial sometimes for children, but not for a long period of time. There are educational apps that can teach your children new things, which can help them to grow. Parents have to be careful though, they should not allow their child to be on an electronic device for a long time because it can cause damage, like poor eyesight or bad behavior.

• I agree because it can be beneficial sometimes when you know how to handle a device and provide educational content. 

• I think kids should be allowed to own electronic devices, but they should be limited of screen time or how many devices they should have. I think an iPod or iPad would but good for children because there not the most expensive and they can be a good distraction. Although, they shouldn't abuse them and they could be limited of their screen time.

• I agree because some parents don't pay attention to the abusive screen time that their kids use which results in many problems.

• I think being on electronic devices can be both good and bad. Many kids can get addicted to their electronic at a young age and always grow up with one by their side. On the other hand, I think it can be good because sometimes kids need to communicate with friends or family. I think that the age for getting devices should be around your teenage years.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker