Should kids be able to pick classes?

Though kids do not like school, should they be able to pick their own classes? There is a lot of controversy if kids pick their own classes they will like school way better and it will set them in the right way with what they wanna do after school. Also it is stated it lets kids have some steam off, they say start with small activities. Then move up to what they wanna do. Most kids want to go to college not into the work force right away, but if they offer classes that are in college most people will not want to go to college because they have already did it in highschool. People think that math is useless in highschool because you will never learn it in life, that is why people wanna pick the classes they want to do after highschool.

A lot of people say that if school changed which they can pick there own classes many people would be happy. Also kids would have more responsibility and freedom. Also it leads students to want what they wanna do, if they don't wanna do that subject they can change to try something else before getting college. I also think that it could screw up some college places because no kids will wanna go to college because they have already did it in highschool. The school we have right now is also stressing kids out because they feel there is no point to Science,English,Math,etc.

I personally think we should be able to pick classes we want to take because I will need that after school.

https://www.thesunchronicle.com/opinion/columns/guest-column-why-students-should-choose-their-own-classes/article_9b794965-5d99-55c0-9890-fa66d23ce407.html

https://www.teachhub.com/professional-development/2020/12/the-benefits-of-student-choice/#:~:text=There%20is%20a%20myriad%20of,students%20are%20involved%20and%20engaged.

Do you think we should pick our own classes?

Do you think colleges would lose money?

Should the government make a change?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I think we should be able to pick our classes, because a lot of people are not going to college for math, science, etc. A lot of people don't want to take pointless classes that they won't need in the future, it's a waste of time. I don't think colleges will lose money over this because they get most of there money elsewhere.

• Yes, I think we should be allowed to pick our own classes. If we choose our own classes I think we're more likely to choose a good job that we like in the future. I don't think colleges would loose any money from people choosing their own classes. I think schools should vote and change on their own. 

• I agree on the voting part of what we should do.

• I think kids should be able to choose their own classes. And I mean by taking classes about things they care about. Most kids don't want to learn about science or math but really like building things in shop class. The only reason they make us take them is for college. So we have enough of a certain amount of credits before we graduate. 

• I think that students should be able to pick their own classes. I also feel having a small amount of knowledge of all subjects is nice. Maybe it should be reduced to just 3 semesters of one class instead of 3 years or maybe have it so that you take it for just 6 weeks out of the year like we did with electives in middle and grade school. Then students get a mixture of all subjects so they see what other options there are and they also have more time for what they are interested in.

• I do think kids should have the freedom to pick and choose what classes they want to take especially in college. If you can't really pick your college classes but you're spending hundreds of thousands on going to that school I think that would just be a waste. However, I don't think this should be big enough to include the government but just for the schools themselves to just give more freedom.

• I think that kids should be able to pick their own classes because then you can plan for your future. If the schools chose our classes then mostly everyone would have the same things and come out of highschool with all the same skills. Then you wouldn't be able to pick classes to help you in the future.

• I agree that students should be able to pick their own classes unless they are required to be able to graduate. If the student picks there own classes then they will enjoy being in that class. If the student likes the class they are taking they will try harder and actually work. 

• I feel like we should be able to pick our classes to a certain point. I think that there should be some required classes for freshmen, sophomores, and juniors (a little bit), but by senior year you should be able to pick which class you want but one has to be English, or math related.

• I disagree, I think we should be able to pick our own classes in general.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker