Should Homework exist?

Most studies have shown that over 70% of students do not like homework and find it very stessful/draining. Too much homework can also take away student's leisure time and could end up making students not get enough sleep. "Children need free time. This free time allows children to relax and explore the world that they are living in. Having leisure time teaches kids valuable skills that cannot be acquired when doing their homework at a computer. Plus, students need to get enough exercise. Getting exercise can improve cognitive function" 

Pros: Feel relief when finally finishing homework, finally get time to relax.

Cons: More stress, less sleep, less time to relax, ect.

Links: https://www.oxfordlearning.com/the-pros-and-cons-of-homework/ 

https://www.healthline.com/health-news/children-more-homework-means-more-stress-031114

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I've never had many issues with homework, but I can see why you might not like it. However, I think homework can help teach us how to balance our lives and the work we will normally get during it. The school has never given us homework that takes up all our free time. An hour or two of patience is usually more than enough to get all my homework done.

• I feel that some people may also have more free time when they don't have homework. people can sometimes get overwellemed with home and they decide to only do the ones that are worth more points.

• i think that homework has some beneffits because it can help you to do another stuff after schhol you can get comfortable wherever you want that is way i think it should not be banned it helps in different ways 

• I think homework is really helpful even if you already know how to do it. It gives you more practice so you can feel more confident when the test comes around. Although I think you should only get scored from just turning it in completed. Then the teacher can still make corrections so you learn but it won't count against you. 

• I think that homework should be based off of the concept and like Mason said "Your Grades". I do not think that someone that completly understands the concept should be forced to do homework if that person already understands the concept. The whole point of homework is to get extra help outside of school to help you do better in school. 

• I think Homework should be based on your grades if you know what you doing in said class then you might not need out-of-school homework. With no homework you wont be as stressed and have more time to do other things at home and not need to cut activities at home short to do your homework so your grade doesn't fall. 

• I think it depends on the class. Homework for math is a good idea but homework for a foods class wouldn't make sense.

• i think it should depend on the teachers because some time a class shouldnt requier homework. like take art for example say the teacher give you home work at that point you are reciving usless work that is filling in time that could be spint talking to friends or doing other things.

• I honestly hate homework. Yes, I understand the teacher trying to see if we know the material, but I think the teacher could get that information through in-class assinments and projects. Most students are involved in an after school activitey and sometimes people just can't find the time to do the assinments. If we didn't have and homework people could relax more.

• I think practice work in class is benefical, but extra work outside of class seems excessive. I think time at home, outside of school, should be spent focusing on other things, besides homework. The only exception for homework would be classwork that did not get completed in class, only then should time be spent on schoolwork at home.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker