Should Homework exist?

Most studies have shown that over 70% of students do not like homework and find it very stessful/draining. Too much homework can also take away student's leisure time and could end up making students not get enough sleep. "Children need free time. This free time allows children to relax and explore the world that they are living in. Having leisure time teaches kids valuable skills that cannot be acquired when doing their homework at a computer. Plus, students need to get enough exercise. Getting exercise can improve cognitive function" 

Pros: Feel relief when finally finishing homework, finally get time to relax.

Cons: More stress, less sleep, less time to relax, ect.

Links: https://www.oxfordlearning.com/the-pros-and-cons-of-homework/ 

https://www.healthline.com/health-news/children-more-homework-means-more-stress-031114

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I think that homework is your own choice. If you don't use your time in class and get it done, then that is your own fault and now is homework. I also think homework can be beneficial to some people because it teaches you the subject outside of class and you put more time into the subject and you're projected to do better. 

• Homework can be very useful it helps elaborate your skills and makes you better. But it can also be tough sometimes because its very time consuming and if theres a lot going on in your life it can be frustrating.

• I can agree from where your coming from, and it can be very beneficial when doing homework because it can help you practice your skills on the subject.

• I think that students should be required if they have a C or lower. I think if they have a B or above, It shouldn't be required, but instead recomended. I still beleive that homework is helpful before a test or a quiz, although, some students remember on things better than others.

• I agree with you and your way sounds pretty understanable in some aspects

• In my opinion, homework should be unfinished work that isn't completed during class. I don't think busy work should be assigned to students because it may help some students, but others may already have good knowledge on the topic, and it would just be a waste of time. I also feel that if school already takes up a lot of your day, then you shouldn't have much homework.

• Homework can be beneficial to students that are in desperate need of help for if they are not understanding a subject. It is also a good way of studying for a test, quiz, or even the bigger test like a semester or quarter test. Yes homework can take up your time from sleep or doing your fun activities but it is good practice to be doing it. You'll have less time to relax if you are doing your homework but it may only take like 10-15 mins then you can do whatever you want. So yes I do think homwork should exist,

• I think homework could be helpful, but teachers shouldn't assign busy work for homework. Homework gives you extra practice on a subject, which can be resourceful. But kids need time away fom school everyday to be with their family and relax. I think homework should only be assigned if a student isn't understanding the material, and needs extra practice.

• I don't think homework should be a requirement but more of an extra practice thing. If you aren't getting a subject homework can be a good thing as it can help you understand the subject more. I disagree when teachers give homework just for you to do something, as it can get very stressful and it's not fun. 

• I personally dont think homework sould be a requirement for students because we already spend so many hours in school a day learning why spend our free time on doing homework. I could see if a student is doing poorly in school and needs extra practice to assighn something small but other then that I dont think there should be homework.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker