Should Homeless People Have Pets?

Should homeless people have pets? Homeless people don’t have homes, barely get food for themselves, and are overall unstable. How do they provide for their pets? Wouldn’t it be easier for them if they gave up the pet and saved up money for themselves to start getting stable. They get about $20-$60 a day in larger cities. Imagine how much money they get in smaller cities. Some homeless people spend that money on drugs and not on actual useful things.

Pets, like dogs, provide protection for the owner when they are sleeping. They also give the owner warmth when it is cold outside. Some pet owners that are homeless feed their pets before they feed themselves, but most don’t. Some of them don’t care about the pet’s health. For some people pets are a source of protection, companionship, and unconditional love. Pets cost about $700-$1,100 per year. That’s a lot of money for homeless people since they make about less than $52,000 per year (with disability and other factors). Most homeless shelters don’t allow pets in due to the fact of allergies. So where would the pet sleep if the owner is in a shelter? Some pets get snuck into the shelter, but others aren’t as lucky and are left outside the shelter. 

Personally I think that homeless people should have pets if they are able to take care of them. If they don’t think they have enough money or supplies to keep their pet healthy then they shouldn’t own one. There are also the homeless people who had pets before they were homeless. I think that those people shouldn’t give up their pet because their pet could enter a stage of depression due to being given up on.

Questions: 

Should homeless people have pets?

Should pets be allowed in all shelters?

Sources:

https://www.fredvictor.org/2019/07/06/the-truth-about-homeless-people-and-their-pets-you-need-to-know/

-https://invisiblepeople.tv/analyzing-the-benefits-of-pet-ownership-among-homeless-people/

https://www.cnet.com/personal-finance/heres-how-much-it-costs-to-own-a-dog-or-cat-in-2021/#:~:text=The%20average%20cost%20of%20owning,animals%20typically%20eat%20more%20food.)

https://www.glassdoor.com/Salaries/homelessness-homeless-salary-SRCH_KO0,21.htm

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I agree. If people want pets then they should be able to have one and it is always nice to have a companion.

• I think that if a homeless person wants a pet, let them. That is just like non-homeless people being able to have pets or not. They definitely need to take care of them and not leave their feces laying around. I would say it is up to the homeless shelters to choose if they allow pets or not. Having a pet could mentally help out several homeless people.

• I agree, but if they don't take care of the pet then they shouldn't have one. Just because they want one doesn't mean they are responsible enough for one.

• I think they should because sometimes, that pet is the only they have left and therefore the only thing they care about. It would be very unkind to take that away from them. It probably mentally helps them to have a living thing with them as well.

• You're right. It probably does help them stay mentally stable or helps them emotionally.

• I think that it should be up to the people.  If they can care for the pet then I think that they should be able to have a pet.  I think that pets could be able to help homeless people significantly. It could help homeless people get back on their feet and get back to work.

• I don't think the pets that homeless people have are registered pets and their also homeless animals, so I think it's fine for them to have them, and even the animals were registered as their pet, I don't think they should take it away. As long as the animals are getting fed, I don't see an issue.

• I think that it would be ok if they had pets in the homless shelter. I dont think that homless people on the streets should have them because if they cant take care of themselves how are they able to take care of a pet. I think that it would be better if a homless shelter kept the dogs to make sure they are being treated right. 

• In some ways you're right because if the pets stayed in the shelter they would be safe and most likely a little more healthy, but the pet could have seperation anxiety.

• I think that homeless people should be allowed to have pets. it can bring them a companion or someone who will be there for them. not everyone should have pets and that includes people who have houses if homeless people can take care of a pet better than people who have a house then yeah go for it.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker