Should Health Care be Free?

Health care is something that all people need starting from when they're first born. The United States has already given some citizens universal health care but the Government is working on expanding it to everyone. The Government wants to use a national health insurance, this will use public insurance to pay for private practice insurance. If this idea does go though it will make it so that every citizen has to pay into the national insurance plan. Another idea that the Government had was making it so that wealthier families would have more money taken out of their taxes to pay for higher medical bills that some families can't afford. The Government can always lower the medical costs but they would rather leave it the way it is.

Medicare is the medical insurance that people 65 and older or younger people with disablilites use. Medicad provides health insurance for eligible low-income adults, children, pregnant women, elderly adults and people with disabilities. Many people think that if the Government can provide universal health care for up to 50% of the population, they should be able to provide it for everyone. To provide universal health care for low-income individuals, children in need, and military members the Government has to use the Affordable Care Act (ACA) which gives Americans access to affordable health care and gives coverage to for their certain conditions.

Universal health care can lower costs and prevent medical bankruptcy. If we used the ACA back in 2020 when covid-19 first started, we could've saved $438 billion. Some families can't afford America's high medical bill prices, so when they see how much they are being charged for it can be quite overwhelming. If we did have free health care, there is no guarantee that it would be high quality just because it's cheap. 

Sources 

https://healthcare.procon.org/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2137072/

https://www.aafp.org/about/policies/all/health-care-for-all.html

Questions 

Do you think health care should be free?

Should wealthier families have to pay for other people's medical bills?

Do you think health care prices are reasonable?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I don't think health care should be free. I also do not think that wealthier people should have to pay for someone else's medical bills. If someone needs assistance with paying their bills then the medical facilities should have payments set up for them. Health care prices are totally out of control.

• I do not think that health care should be free. If health care was free then people would abuse it and go to the hospital whenever they feel slightly sick. I do not think that wealthier families should have to pay for other people's medical bills. Just because you have money doesn't mean that you should have to pay for someone else to go to the doctor's office.

• I think it should be free because some people dont have that kind of money and it would be a lot more help for people too. I think wealthier famlies could only if they wanted too because most of those families do have that kind of money but aren't as reliable as some others. I think they are because you use all their supplies and they provide many things but it also depends on what happend. 

• I think that it would be great to have free health care because that way if someone got like and xray to see if they broke something it wouldn't cost anything. But the only thing i would say would be that the government would have to replace that with something else but im not sure though what else it could be replaces with. Also I don't think that if your more weathy than someone your should have to pay for someones medical bill that would be unfair for the weatheir families, but maybe if someone offered i think that should be okay.

• I think that it would be nice to have free health care but then the government would have to take the money out of something else. I don't think that the wealthier families should have to pay for other peoples medical bills. I think that the prices might be a litlle bit too high but then again all of the equipment also costs a lot of money.

• I do not think helathcare should be totally free. There are still people who work and healthcare and need payed. I do not think that weatheir familys should have to pay for other peoples medical bills unless it is for chairty. I think most healthcare prices are reasonable.

• I do not think that healthcare as a whole should be free. I think that because people spend so much money on it each year, the price of it should be decreased, but not completly striked out. If it was free, where are we getting the funds to get all of the products like plasma, the resperators, etc.?

• I don't think that the health care should be free, but I do think that we could lower it because of how expensive it is. I don't think that the wealthier people should have to pay for other's health insurance because it is not their problem to pay for others. I think that the prices could be lower. 

• I think it should be atleast cheap and affordable to each person. I dont think they should be paying medical bill the goverment should have a realif on it or find somthing out. I think they are bit expensive but it should be lowered down for people

• I don't think that health care should be free however I do think that the price of health car the the United states could be lowered. I don't think it should be free because then taxes would be higher and we would end up paying about the same anyway.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker