Should Harlan have early outs every week?

Besides a day off of school, early outs are the next top thing for some of a student's favorite days. There has always been an idea and theory that an early out once a week for schools should be mandatory and useful for the school. Some people are for this idea and many others aren’t. Around the world, some schools have early outs once a week. Harlan doesn’t, but should that change?

Some of the pros that would come with a weekly early out would be giving students more time for mental health and homework. I think some teachers sometimes feel like they do not give a lot of homework, but when every teacher for every class gives “a little” homework, it all adds up. Sometimes students struggle to finish it all while trying to balance family, sports, jobs, and more. Giving an early out once a week could be a helpful idea for those who struggle with finding the time. Another pro is when a student is given more time, the school will begin to see overall academic improvement. Schools would see fewer failing grades and better test scores overall. 

The cons of a weekly early out are the problem of the teachers having to plan around it. Some teachers struggle with fitting their longer lessons into shorter days. It also gives students less time in class to retain and learn the material being taught. Another problem is the transportation issue. This could lead to some students being home alone on these days due to parents' work schedules. It also messes with people's extracurricular activities. Some sports may struggle with the once-a-week time change, and it could even mess up game and practice times. 

Overall, I think that the benefits of a weekly early out outweigh the cons of them. I think that the school could see such an increase in grades and scores within the classrooms. I think that it also gives teachers more planning time and more time to spend with their families and friends. 

Do you think Harlan schools should have early outs every week?

Do you think early outs would help students out?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Good! +10

• I would be a great idea and I do approve of it I believe that we shouldn't. If we did we would have to have more school days each year because by law every school is required to have so many hours, I think, of school time. Thinking of that student's prob wouldn't want it. 

• I think that students would love to have an early out every week, but I don't think it is worth it. Sometimes it is difficult for students and teachers to get things done with shortened class periods, and we also might have to stay longer at the end of the year if we don't have enough hours. I would rather have some days off of school if we can afford it. 

• I think that Harlan should have early outs once a week. I think that having early outs would help breakup students weeks and have the look forward to that day. I think that without early outs students start dreading school even more.

• I think that every wednesday we should have a early out since Wednesday is the middle of the week. It will not be benifcial to all studnets and teachers but all would love having a short day which makes everybody happy.

• I agree, I think that there are more pros of a weekly early out than cons. School weeks start to get very long the longer you are in school, especially in the winter. Early outs give students time to rest, finish homework, and spend more time pursuing activities. I think a weekly early out would help students catch a break, as well as teachers. 

• I completely agree with you. The weeks get boring when theres nothing going on and I think a wednesday ealry out would give us a little break in between the middle of the week. This would give kids time to stay after school and get help on there work and it would eat up into there schedule.

•  In my opinion, getting out early once a week would be great. I don't know if it would help all students, but I would like to get out of school earlier than 3. The early outs could possibly help students have more time to do homework, and give teachers more time to prepare.

• Getting out early once a week would be great. However, by the end of the year, we would be short on hours, which then we would have to stay in school longer. Early outs could help some students, but others would go off with there friends and not use the time wisely. 

• Having an early out every week would be great and students would love it, it isn't very realistic. I don't think it is worth us having to go longer at the end of the year. It could help some students and give the teachers time to prepare but that time not in school would add up.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker