Should Halloween be a Federal Holiday?

Halloween, unlike many other holidays, is not a Federal Holiday. Halloween’s culture has changed over the years. Now it is all about costumes, candy, and trick or treating. Back then Halloween was about celebrating the end of summer and the beginning of harvest. People would light bonfires and dress in combines to “scare off ghosts.” Over the years Halloween has changed tremendously. 

Some people say that Halloween should be a federal holiday. They think it is just as important as other holidays and government run businesses should get the day off. The days before Halloween are just following the time between Thanksgiving and Christmas in terms of how much people are buying and all of the money going into the economy. Because of this, people think that Halloween should be a day off.

Others would say that there is no real point of having Halloween be a federal holiday. Trick or treating is at night and there isn’t a reason to prepare all day long. Some people think that Halloween doesn’t have that great of a meaning so it shouldn’t be considered a federal holiday. I think I would agree to that, Halloween is a holiday that isn’t as important as others like Christmas. I don’t think people need the whole day off, especially when the main part of the holiday happens at night.

Do you think Halloween should be a federal holiday?

If so, why?

https://nsucurrent.nova.edu/2016/10/25/why-halloween-should-be-a-federal-holiday/

https://www.manoanow.org/kaleo/special_issue_halloween/why-halloween-should-be-a-federal-holiday/article_477c0862-9ae0-11e6-8b73-abf7033eb07f.html 

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Good topic choice and well done overall Abby. Be sure to comment back on three different days.

• I think that schools should not have school on Halloween. Kids should get a day to rest and prepare for the night ahead. Even though the actually activites dont start until night you need to have time to prepare for a party or something. 

• In my opion schools should have a half of day but not a whole day. The meaning of Halloween doesn't even happen till right before dark. It is not like having thanks giving and christmas where you spend time with your whole family. Some familys travel on those holidays to see family. Holloween is a one night thing.

• I think halloween should be a federal holiday because it gives teachers a extra day off.

• I feel that Holloween shouldn't really be a federal holiday becuase the main part happens during dusk and night, and having the day off during the day doen't make that much sence. It's not like Thanksgiving or Christmas were we do it during the day. I feel we just don't need the whole day off.

• I agree, I don't feel we need the whole day off.

• I'm kind of inbetween. I don't see the reason why people need to take the whole day off for preparation per say, but something from like 4-7 especially in the midwest is crucial because the sun sets earlier in the afternoon. Because of this kids go from about that time period to about 8 maybe 9 o'clock for trick or treating. Plus the weekend before you might need to purchase the necessary costume, and decorate your house in the spooky mood. With that arguement I'd lean toward half of a day off or early outs for work and school. But on the other side of my mind, who needs all this time if all the kids are going to be doing is getting 1/2 inch candy bars? Then I think to myself what about the little kids?  Are they staying up late like till 9 o'clock just to get candy?  Are they with their parents the whole time--probably. But the older kids, the 10 and up ones they probably stay out later till like 10 o'clock to get more candy. So if you're in a neighborhood filled with older kids, you might not need a later end of the day for work, or school. But if you are in a heavily populated toddler zone, you might want to ask your employer for the day off, or early leave so that the littler house can still come to your house during the light hours to sunset.  All that said, I do believe it should be a federal holiday so people have it off.

• I think it should definitely be a federal holiday. Becuase, I think every kid participates in trick or treating and enjoy spending the day getting all dressed up. Having school on halloween is horrible for the little kids because no one wants to spend there day at school on a holiday. I think every school should have halloween off and the day after. 

• I think it should be a federal holiday. First, the people that go trick or treating are students and sometimes they have school that same day. So I think we should have the day of Halloween off and the day after because it is now fun trick or treating when it is still light out.

• I think that Holloween should not be a federal holliday because all the events and things people do are usually after the normal work and school hours. It's not like the other bigger holidays where you have family over and eat and spend most the day together.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker