Should Gun Buybacks Still Be Allowed?

Gun buyback programs have existed as far back as 1974, with one on the first documented buybacks, named operation PASS-People Against Senseless Shootings-occurring in Baltimore, Maryland. It was the Idea of the Baltimore Police Commissioner and came in response to gun violence where a police officer was killed. Over 13,500 guns were collected over a 2-month period. Despite the sentiment and success of that intial buyback, it was not until the 1990s that buybacks became more prominent. There were a number of cities across the US that began buyback programs, with Seattle conducting one in 1993, and Pittsburgh in 1994.

one of the largest gun buyback programs to ever taken place was in Australia in the mid-1990s. this was in response to the Port Athur massacre on April 28, 1996, in Tasmania, Australia, where one man used a semi-automatic rifle to kill 35 people and wound 23 others. The Australian government's response was swift, ecisive, and broad. Between June 1996 and August 1998, Australia's state anf federal governments had put in place new laws banning rapid-fire long guns. By January 1, 1997, there were mandatory gun buyback programs of prohibited firearms at market price. The number of guns collected and destroyed in the gun buybacks by August 2001 was 659,940.

A number of studies have sought to determine the efficacy of gun bybacks in curtailing firearm injuries and deaths. A study of Hartford's gun buyback in 2015 compared them to gums confiscated by the police force, which showed that the cast majority of crime guns were hanguns, and the magority of gun buyback guns were also handguns; however, crime guns tended to be higher caliber campared with buyback guns. Most gun buyback participants return weapons out of safety concerns and generally have formal training. One study traced buyback weapons and demonstrated that buybacks have become more effective at collecting crime guns.

gun buybacks are criticized for not affecting those who are most likely to experience violence form firearms. The most common victims to fatal firarm injury are non-Hispanic black males, yet recent studies show that older Caucasian males are more likely ot surender weapons. other state that buyback guns are dissimilar from crime guns. In defense of buybacks, Massachusetts State Police Superintendent Col. McKeon stated that Approximately one-third of firearm-related crimes commited in Massachusetts are preformed using stolen weapons. Therefore, removing weapons from homes could potentially reduce the chance of these firearms being used in crime.

In my opinion I think that every state should do gun buybacks because someone could turn in a gun that has been used to kill people.

https://www.pewtrusts.org/en/research-and-analysis/blogs/stateline/2022/08/30/gun-buybacks-are-popular-but-are-they-effective

https://journalistsresource.org/health/gun-buybacks-what-the-research-says/

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Great topic choice Peyton and very glad you go this posted! Your summary does a good job educating people about the program. I do think you could use your own words a bit more as there were some words that did not seem like they were--A number of studies have sought to determine the efficacy of gun bybacks in curtailing firearm injuries and deaths.--

I also would like to see your own opinion expanded a bit more as well. Also be sure to ask questions. One week late,

• I think gunbuy backs are a good event to be held. If someone has a gun sitting around that they haven't used or are going to use I think they should sell so there isn't any risk that if someone was to break in. They might steal the gun. And if someones finds a gun and there is no owner or anything. And they have kept it in safe keepings. They could turn it in for a reward

• I think gun buyback should be aloud but i think that it shouldn't be forced. it would be good for somepeople because if they are a late husbands or somthig and need moeny.  it is our second amendment so its our right to have guns so if they force people to sell them to the government it would break our rights.  

• I think that it would be a good idea for states to have gun buy backs. This is helpful for ongoing investigations to be solved and could reduce crimes form happening.  I dont think that they should be madatory, it should be up to the owner if he would like to turn in the gun for a buyback. 

• I think that gun buybacks should be allowed, although, I don't think they should be manditory. A reward for the weapon gives people motivation to get rid of their guns and make the towns and cities safer. This would be very beneficial for investigations trying to be solved.

• In my opinion, I think all states should have gun buybacks. I think it encourages people to turn in guns that may have been used for other crimes. It could help solve many ongoing investigations. It would be very beneficial in many cases. If you turn in guns you find sometimes you even get things in reward. 

• In my opinion, I think it would be a good idea to have them in every state of the United States. We have more people buying guns but also more crimes happening. This could help the investigators find who every shot the person. It would also be more efficient and faster. 

• I agree with you beacause it would be a very good idea to have them in every US State. There is a lot of crimes happening in the US like hommicide and suicide happening. Having buybacks is making the FBI's job easier.

• I think that gun buy backs should be in every state in the US. Just due to the fact that it would get more guns that are used in crimes off the street. I think that it would help the police solve some crimes. As well as take guns from people who do not know how to shoot them saftely. 

• I agree with you beacause buybacks would get more crime guns off the streets and help the police solve crimes that are not solved yet. Helping the police is very good because it will keep us safe.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker