Should Excessive Celebration Be A Penalty?

Excessive celebration in football refers to when players celebrate a touchdown or a big play in a way that goes beyond the usual celebrations. It’s all about expressing excitement and joy, but sometimes it can be a little too much. When a player scores a touchdown, they might perform elaborate dances, choreographed routines, or even bring out props to celebrate. The purpose is to showcase their individuality, entertain the fans, and create memorable moments. It adds an extra layer of excitement to the game and can add energy in the stadium. However, there are some downsides to excessive celebration as well. It can lead to penalties and fines for the team, which can have negative consequences in terms of field position or momentum. Excessive celebration can also disrupt the flow of the game, causing delays and interruptions. Additionally, it can create tension between teams, especially if the celebration is seen as disrespectful or taunting. Overall, excessive celebration in football has both positives and negatives. It brings entertainment and excitement to the game, allowing players to express their individuality and connect with fans. But at the same time, it can have negative repercussions in terms of penalties and disruptions. I personally do not think that there should be a penalty for excessive celebration, but certain things should be off limits. 

Questions:

Do you think excessive celebration should be a penalty?

Do you think there should be certain things that the players shouldn’t be able to do when celebrating?

Link:

https://www.ohsaa.org/Portals/0/Officiating/dod/Soccer/ExcessiveCelebrationInterpretation.pdf?ver=2019-09-05-144908-223

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Touchdown_celebration#:~:text=The%20excessive%20celebration%20rule%20was,intended%20to%20delay%20the%20game.

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I think that it should be a penalty if the person is celebrating in an obnoxious way. Sometimes, you might just be happy with what you have accomplished, and that's fine, but sometimes it gets a little too much and I think that should be a penalty. I think that a player shouldn't be allowed to take their jersy off or jump into the stands. They also shouldn't be allowed to taunt the other teams players because that would just be rude.

• I can understand your opinion, I also think that a player should get the excessive celebration penalty if they were taunting the other team. But I think as long as they aren't doing that, then they have complete freedom to do whatever they want. 

• I don't think excessive celebration should be a penalty unless it is too much. If there was no celebrating and they just walk away after getting a touchdown football would be boring to watch.

• I agree with you, I think that when a team does a fun celebration move after they score it is very entertaining. I think the players should have more freedom to choose of their celebratory dances without worrying having to get pentalized. 

• I think too much celebrating should be a penalty but I don't think it should be a penalty for a little celebration. I think the refs get a little penalty happy and just through a flag to abuse their power sometimes. I think players should have a limit to what they can and cant do when celebrating.

• I agree with you, I personally think that some referees can get a little to carried away on the penalties with excessive celebration. I think the players should have less restrictions when it comes to celebratory dances. 

• I don't think that excessive celebration should be a penalty simply because you are celebrating an achievment either you or another teamate achieved. There should be certain restrictions, for example, how you act towards the other team/teams.

• I do not think that excessive celebrating should be a penalty. Celebrating what you have accomplished, it's what you work for. You should not get punished for being proud of what you have accomplished. I do think that you should only celebrate towards your team and not towards the team you are playing agianst. 

• I personally agree with you, they are celebrating because they have accomplished something that is worth celebrating for. I think the celebration dances adds a fun aspect to the game and makes it more enjoyable to watch. 

• It shouldnt its cheering somthing you worked so hard on, and they refs call it not fair. Their shouldnt be certian rules or restrictions on it, let the players have their fun. its good to get into the other teams head and have an advantage 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker