Should Drinking Age Be Lowered?

As everyone knows the legal drinking age in America is 21. Although, in many countries the drinking age is either 16 or 18. Such as Cuba, Panama, and more, legalize drinking for 16 and older. In France, Canda, Mexico, Italy, and many more, the legal age is 18. Many people have their own thoughts on what age is appropriate for drinking alcohol. 

I feel that the drinking age in America should be lowered to 18. Once you turn 18 you’re by law considered an adult. If you’re legally able to live on your own, buy a house, and go into the military at that age you should be able to make the choice to drink or not. If America lowered its drinking age to 18, it would join the 61 percent of the countries that have the drinking age of 18 or 19.

Other people think that it should stay legal for people that are 21 and older. One of the reasons why people think it should stay the same is because they think that drinking under 21 links to many immature decisions like car crashes, suicide, and alcohol poisoning. I disagree with them because you should be able to know your limits and know when to make the right decisions. 

In conclusion, the drinking age in America should be lowered to 18 because you should be able to make your own decision and take responsibility for your own actions.

Do you think the drinking age should be lowered? Why or why not?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I think that the drinking age should be lowered because they consider 18 an adult so you can do everything Except for drink. If they consider adults 18 adults come with responsibility drinking is something they need to learn to be responsible with. Why be able to do everything when you turn 18 and not drink

• In my opinion, the drinking age should stay the same, at least for right now... Also its not like people who are 21 and below don't drink at all. I 'm sure they still find ways to drink. Another reason why I believe the legal drinking age should stay at 21 is because there are many car accidents and suicides going on around and even though people SHOULD be able to take responsibility for their actions, we know that some people just don't

• I disagree about the drinking age staying the same. By that age you should know what to do and if people can't figure their stuff out that's a lack of maturity, that's on them. People drink but maybe it would decrease the illegal drinking. A lot of kids think the fun part of illegal drinking is the part of being sneaky.

• I think that drinking age should stay the same becasue when you get older you have more responsibilty so more people might get addicted to drinking when there younger and that might lead to more death for drinking and driving. So it should stay the same.

• I agree with you because when you turn 18 you're a legal adult. You're able to make your actions. If you get in a car crash because you were drinking, that would be your responsibility that could easily be controlled. The drinking age is 21 which I think is a little bit too high because when you turn 18 you're an adult, you're able to make your decisions like buying a house, adopting kids, and more. You should be mature enough to make smart decisions. 

• In Germany we have a really low drinking age. When you are 14 and your parents are with you and allow it then you can drink beer. When you are 16 you can legally buy wine, beer and champagne. When you are 18 you can drink what you want. I think that it is good that way because drinking is not a big thing anymore when you are older and you do not drink too much.

• I think the drinking age should be lowered to 18. I think drinking come more to decision making rather than your age, if you are mature enough to know your limit then I think it is okay, most 18-year-olds are mature enough to know their drinking limit, and to me, it does not make sense on why the legal drinking age is 21 since you've already been adult for 3 years.

• I agree with what you said. People should know their limits and know what the right thing to do is. 

• I do not think that the age should be lowered to 18, without parental consent. Many believe that it should be lowered in general, but did you know, in 29 states, kids/adults can drink when they are 18 and older in a private residence with parental consent. It also cannot be on-premises where they sell alcohol. So if you are at home with your parents, then you are all good, after the age of 18. This is okay in Iowa. 

• Yes, I believe that the drinking age should be lowered. I believe this because when you are 18 you are already an adult which really means that you can make your own decisions. Many kids already start drinking when they go to college or sometimes even in highschool. Some people need to experience it for themselves.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker