In these past years, there's been a sudden peak in interest for true crime content, and it only got bigger with everyone being stuck in their houses, the sudden trill of a crime would give us all the rush to keep going. But, there have been countless negative testimonies from the victims' families given in regards to their experiences with the directors or the mere lack of it. Most times the victim's families aren’t even contacted to let them know that their relative's stories will get put on tv, and when they are added in sometimes they are wrong or just not done in a good way. I find this extremely disrespectful to the families, they shouldn't have to constantly re-live their trauma just because some production companies want to make money. This type of content could be a great opportunity to give the cases more exposure and possibly get them solved one day but companies refuse to do a good job.    

Another problem I have with these productions is their cast, most times they get famous actors to play murderers, for example, in the 2019 movie “Extremely Wicked, Shockingly Evil and Vile”, the actor Zac Efron portrays the heinous serial killer Ted Bundy and most recently Evan Peters plays the role of Jeffrey Dahmer in the Netflix series “Monster: The Jeffrey Dahmer Story”, this has made some people bring up the fact that casting good-looking and well-liked actors might change some people's views of these murderers; by seeing a familiar face play a serial killer we might not feel the same way about them as we would if they were just showing pictures of the actual person.

Companies should do a better job at portraying these stories, people were killed and families are still mourning if they are not going to be faithful to the story why even start writing the script, we shouldn't put entertainment over someone's death. But I would like to know what u think

Do you think it's correct for companies to not ask permission from the victim's families and use them for profit?

Do you feel like casting famous actors will obscure people's views of the killers?

https://time.com/6218411/jeffrey-dahmer-netflix-controvesy/

https://time.com/5825475/true-crime-victim-families/  

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Great topic choice and super job!!

• I think companies should ask permission before making the film. Some people might not want to relive the trauma they have been through. And other people might see it as a way to remember the person they lost and how cruel people are. I think it should be more about the family and what they want instead of just money.

• I agree with you, this type of content could be used as a sort of memorial for the victims where they show them as what they were, human, they all had lives, hobbies, and dreams, and they were all torn down because someone felt entitled enough to take their life. We should celebrate who they were not who took their lives away from them. Thanks for the comment:)

• I think that when companies create true crime content it is good and bad.  It shows people how cruel people can be.  It also gives people ideas on bad things that they do.  I don't personally watch these true crime shows because I'm not a big fan of crime. Some people enjoy these shows though.

• In my opinion, companies should ask the permission of family members if they are okay to use the story. Some people don't want to bring it back up due to the hurt it caused them. The company should not try to convince them if they say no or use the story if the family says no. 

• If a victim's family doesn't feel comfortable sharing this tragic event in such a public way then they shouldn't do it, no company has the right to violate someone's privacy or take advantage of a desperate family. Thanks for commenting ^w^!!

• I think that the companies should ask the families if its ok for them to use the story of someones murder and maybe even ask for specific details that way the storys will be correct and they should have people that look like the murderers play the murderers or even do some make up or something so you can see what the murderer looked like instead of a false representation of them. 

• In my opinion I think that they should ask the family for permission instead of just doing it. Most producer just care about the money. But they should ask the family first because they had live through it and don't want to remember it. 

• I think that before they make anything about someones actual issues and crimes they should have to ask for permission instead of just making it. I feel that posting the persons name and infirmation and ruin them and what has happend in the past and it could ruin there familys. I fell that casting a person who isn't the killer or the person who made the crime isn't terible as long as they are saying the facts and not lieing just to be able to make money 

• I think if they are asking the family for permission or the family comes to them then it should be fine for true crime companies to post about it. I think it could be a good way of telling people what could happen and stuff like that but then again it's scary. I think casting famous actors could make shows like that a bit more popular but sometimes in a bad way though.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker