Should college athletes get paid?

The ongoing battle of whether college athletes should be paid or not has been in some way debated since the 1980’s. I think that there are many pros and cons to both sides of the argument. There are many people who think that paying college athletes is a bad idea. One of the main reasons peo-ple do not want to pay college athletes is because it then erases the line between professional and college athletes. If that border line is eliminated it soon causes the education vs. the sports in college to weaken. Another claim is that it would prioritize athletics over academics. Students would worry more about making money than their education. This would lead to more failures and more ineligible students. There are several other reasons but the last one I will discuss is the fear of unequal pay checks. If college athletes began to get paid we would begin to see pay inequality starting at young ages including college sports causing less girls to involve themselves. 

On the other hand, some people think that it would be a great and beneficial thing. Those people would argue that it encourages healthy stuudent athletes and healthier habits. If a student knows they are going to be paid for their efforts, they will work harder towards the sport creating better and more competitive competitions. Another main claim is that it relieves student and family stress. When parents can depend a little bit on their college athletes it creates a less stressful environment. The last reason is because it allows students more time for school. If sport-playing students make money from playing sports they have more time to study instead of working.

Overall I think that paying college athletes would be beneficial. I understand that some make money off their NIL, but I think that they should be paid a salary. They might not have to be paid as much as professional athletes, but a little would help many people. I think athletes try  hard in college and deserve to have money and time. They split their time between school, work, and sports, and paying them would make it much easier for the players to study, sleep, eat better, and have mental health time. 

Do you think college athletes should get paid?

if so, how much?

If you were a college althete would you want to get paid and why?

https://vittana.org/14-should-college-athletes-be-paid-pros-and-cons 

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I agree that they have a lot but arent giving a lot.

• I believe that college athletes should get paid, but not like NFL players. I also agree that they work hard for being on the team and it should be treated like a job to them. College athetes possible work harder that NFL players. The NFL player mostly just play for the money. 

• I agree it shouldnt be like NFL pay.

• I feel like they should not get paid that would be like say high school athletes should get paid its like the same but different in its own way. I feel like Only NFL player should get paid because they earned it they didnt just say that they are going to play NFL they worked for it. That is why im saying that College athletes should not get paid.

• I see why you would think that but I do not really agree.

• I believe that college athletes should get paid. For how hard they work and the time they put in their life it is worth getting paid for. An injury could happen anytime they are playing and the cost would be expensive for a college student so if they are getting paid it could help them.

• I agree they do work hard.

• I believe that college athletes should get paid. I think that their salary should depend on how much the play a part in their team's success and how their jerseys, and other sales. If I was a college athlete, I would want to be paid. However, if I sat on the bench and never played, I don't think I would deserve a big salary, maybe a small one. 

• I agree that I would want to get paid

• Yeah every college athlete should get paid to play sports.  If they have a goal to go in the big leagues they're gonna work on the sport and work hard at being the best in the school.  If they work after practice even then they'll be drained of energy.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker